1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What kind of "coats" do you guys wear outside in the snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I do snow blowing currently so im a little colder than the guys in the trucks with the heaters.. .but i know all of you are "out and about" in the thick of snow storms. What coats have you worn that have lots of pockets, and multiple layers?

I was using one that was my brothers he left over my house before. It was "won" by using like 3000 malboro cigarette miles 5-7 yrs ago. It was "heavy" like weighted 2-3lbs at least, lots of rugged zippers, 3 layers inside, i mean i was out when it was 15deg out ALL day in this coat snowblowing 2 yrs ago and i wasnt "cold cold"

I just ordered an LL Bean weather channel 3 in one jacket for $159..... not what i expected. It lists it as 20deg F to -20deg F weather suitable... its "nice" but not what i would wear when snow is blowing at me and under 20deg F. suggestions?
    Id like to get my company logos on the back of a few soon for the winter.

Thats the one i got, blue, its not really even heavy. It feels nice but is almost more of a heavier womans coat to wear to work lol.
  2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Layers my friend, layers.

when i was snowblowing (you know the drill, hours outside at 0 degrees)
    I would layer up, shirt, sweatshirt, coat, then the piece de resitance.
    A motorcycle rain suit. (2 piece)
    lets no snow get inside, which means you stay dry, which means you are warm.
    A snowmobile suit would probably work too.
    I looked like a snowman, but I was warm.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Even when i snowblowed, ide wear just a single layer jacket, or just a sweatshirt with a t shirt under it! Don't like bulky clothing and i don't get cold very easily. When im out plowing, i wear a sweatshirt at the most, sometimes just a t shirt and shovel really quick with just that on at the few i need to shovel.
  4. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

I wear a T- Shirt ( cause I don't leave the truck) , but my son who does ALL of the shoveling wears everything he owns LMAO
  5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Carhartt. That is all I gotta say.
  6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I wear a Carhart winter jacket (or my Ambulance Corps jacket if I'm on call) with a fleece and t shirt underneath and Carhart bib for plowing on the quad...keeps me plenty warm!:salute:

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i really try and not get out of the truck, lol so i wear a fleece most the time.
  8. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I just wear jeans a t-shirt and then a sweat shirt. Heat on full blast and window open while plowing.
  9. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Filson clothing. It's like Carhart only much better. Stuff wears like iron. It's hard to find. Check out Filson's website for a local dealer to you. Kinda salty price wise. How warm and dry do ya wanna be?payup payup payup
  10. makplow

makplow Senior Member

I'm a carpenter and worked out many a winter and I agree with cowboy if your going to be out for a long period layers are the only way to go! They don't even have to be that thick just 4 or 5 layers and you will keep warm. The face and hads are the hardest thing to keep warm?

11. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

12. under armour, t-shirt, hoody, columbia winter coat and a hat of course. I stay nice and warm, but in the truck it gets kinda hot so now I only wear all that if I'm outside salting.
  13. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

When im going to be outside when it's cold, I wear my ARCTIC one peice carhart, with a Baclava, and a ski hat.
    I've never had to wear layers under that thing, it's heavy as hell.

But snowmobiling is another story, I start with a layer of UnderArmor (worthless overpriced junk) with a layer of thermal on that, then sweatpants/shirt, then bibs/jacket.

I hate bulky stuff too.
  14. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Carhart is a very good start to be sure.

I wear Flannel lined jeans, T-shirt under a button down Navy work shirt. In extreme cold i will put on a fleece vest over this.

Top layer when plowing is an ANSI Class III Orange Reflective coat. Coat has a zip-out liner and outer shell is waterproof. I wear a ball cap and mechanix gloves but keep a stocking cap and ultra cold weather gloves in the truck with me.

My biggest and most important item for winter work is a good set of very insulated and waterproof boots. I also wear moisture wicking socks to help keep my feet dry.

I have a walk-around bag that includes everything I need for a long night of plowing. Dry set of clothes, couple bottles of water, some power bars or handy snacks. Also keep my cell phone charger, Pepto, $20.00, ice scraper, just all the small stuff that I want or might want with me that I can easily take from truck to truck.
  15. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

mom bought me a new carhartt jacket for christmas, and i love it! I also have the Carhartt fleece lined jeans, and they are amazing. I work at a christmas tree farm for part of the winter, and those jeans are all i need on my legs, i love em. Layers are very important to me. In addition to the jacket i will wear a long sleeved shirt, fleece, and maybe even a hoodie if its real cold.
  16. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

naked, unless im doing walks, then i wear carhart
  17. the_mayor

the_mayor Senior Member

Long sleeve tee, sweat pants, and "fat man slides" (those slip on slipper like soled shoes with no back). I never get out of the truck.
  18. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I wear

another vote for Carhart
  19. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Try helly hansen base layers (poly pro) -wicks moisture which when snowblowing and shoveling is essential. Then I like sweat pants and snow bibs for the legs and a wool sweater or other layers under a coumbia or llbean coat.

To answer your question I have one of the ll bean jackets, not sure which model though and it's good.

My ideal coat would be gore-tex for breathability and waterproof properties. They are $$ though, but prob worht it. A $400 jacket will only cost $80/year if it lasts 5 years min. Maybe I should buy one!
  20. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Need you say anymore??? The best for keeping you warm and lasting for 2-3 years. May not be pretty but they work.

Regards Mike