1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what kind of cab do you like?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by coppertec, Dec 17, 2013.

1. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

hey guys

even though it is a ways off, I have been thinking about what I would like as a "new" main plow. this being my first season plowing, I have limited experience with different vehicles.

I want to know pros, cons and opinions(can of worms, I know) for why everyone chooses a particular truck cab over another.

I did some quick research on here before and pretty much shot from the hip when I went out to buy my current plow; reg cab, with a long box. I saw that setup recommended often on here, but to be honest, Im not sure why. weight and balance probably have something to do with it, and also front axle loads. I have driven a extended cab 1/2 for a daily driver, and I always lust after quad cabs.

Im usually doing mid to larger commercial lots, with little maneuvering needed, but last night I helped out a buddy do one of the hospitals here because he had 3 bobcats breakdown. between parking stalls +the roof of the parkades, I felt like a shorter box would have been nice. I also feel cramped in a regular cab

tell me what you know!
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

For plowing regular cab long box. For kids crew cab short box.
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Unless you are gonna plow large lots a crew cab long bed sucks. Ask me how I know. I would prefer a extended cab short bed. Reg cab doesn't have enough room for all my crap or sidewalk guys.
  4. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

yea I wouldn't mind a crew long box for a daily, but ext with a short/reg box is what I think I truly want as my next plow. as it is my reg cab long box feels like an ocean liner. I also keep a lot of my gear and equipment like my backpack blower in the back of my dailydriver when I don't need it, since I don't have anywhere else to keep it. so I would rather it always be with my plow truck instead
  5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have a regular cab long box and I really like it. That being said, if I didn't need the long bed I would rather have an extended cab shortbox. My only complaints are not enough room to out my crap and I can't recline the seat to take a nap.. opther than that the regular cab kicks ass.. I plowed in a crew cab long box dually once, it was horrible!
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

If you don't like the size of a rc/lb truck you're really going to hate anything else. An ext cab/short bed is within a few inches of a rc/lb but everything else is going to feel huge.

I'm plowing with an ec/lb with a vbox salter. Sure it's not a jeep wrangler but it is still plenty do able. I do everything from very tight driveways to small lots and some larger parking lots as well.

My next truck will be a dually, either an ec/lb or a cc/lb. Most likely a 9' flatbed instead of an 8' pickup bed.
  7. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

I started with a 4 door shortbed chevy 2004 model..... It was okay because I had a large strip mall. I only wanted one big job as I would feel dependable that way........ Then all my local banks started calling and boom I had 3 banks... Holy crap I realized how bad that truck sucked then. So my next truck was in my opinion the smartes rig and easies to see out of which was a regular cab WITH FLATBED. Holly crap was it easy to see and work out of and was by far and away the best plowing setup I ever worked out of. it was a 97 7.3 ford TD and it left me stranded so many times I got rid of the junk ass thing. I still have the 4 door shortbed for bigger lots and just bought a reg cab longbed chevy 3500 single rear wheel. Its awesome as well but I don't think ppl realize what there missing out on not having a flatbed. Turn around and you can see the world so much easier. I use bagged salt so I would stack it flat and low and other tools around the salt like shovels yada yada and man it was nice. Will be saving for a flatbed to put on the reg cab long box that's for sure. Guess it doesn't matter for the folks running vboxes......... View is blocked either way.............

I am in the same spot your in on what to have for my next newer truck. Ive got my first kid on the way now and kinda feel that reg cab trucks may be something I may want to shy away from as my work trucks are also my everyday trucks also...... What is the difference in wb on the long bed trucks to the shortbed ext cab?????
  8. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

We have 3 crew cab long beds, 1 extended, everyone hates the extended, no room..

We do lots of tight apartment complexes, must have the room for guys, all your crap and tools
  9. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

a flat deck would be awesome, but I would probably do something silly like put a vbox on it anyways haha
  10. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

do they hate the extended because of visibility and overall driving comfort? or because of multiple people sitting in the cabin? I would only ever have 1 person extra with me
  11. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Im sure that most ppl use there mirrors for backing up but for me a reg cab with flatbed you can either turn around or just use your rearview mirror and its WIDE OPEN.......... Its amazing what even a tailgate blocks in visibility when your in a small lot. We run just the small snowex mini pros so when we got to the bigger jobs, 2 guys jumped out and ripped the spreader off and there wasn't even a spreader to see around. We don't do that at every place or anything but at a few of our larger places there are little islands of landscaping, handicapped signs etc and its just nice to have that wide open view. Not saying we cant do it without reg bed and spreader its just nice to not have to look around all that stuff....... I LOVED the flatbed and I will be getting another for my new reg cab longbed asap........... Just hate to get rid of a perfect bed and don't have anywhere to keep it......
  12. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

My preference is the shortest wheel base you can work with for a plow truck. That being said, I need a LB, and at a minimum an EC for the dog to ride in. Otherwise you have an 80lb lab that drinks your coffee and sits in your lap when you don't need it.
  13. FurFishGame

FurFishGame Member

my personal plow truck in a sc/sb chevy, that thing can get in some friggin tight spots, my work plow truck is a cc /lb, and it kinda sucks for tight spots,

me favorite was a 1993, ex/cab with a 7 foot bed,
    pros to standard cab short bed:
    tight turns, cab heats up fast and stays hot, has bench seat so the girlfriend can sit in hte middle seat, and you have an excuse to not give buddys rides :)

Cons no room for stuff in cab, small bed, if you have a tool box, which you need if you have a sc, you now have 2 feet less bed, not as much traction, expecially when goin through a drift or something...

Pros to cclb lots of room for people, can take a nap in teh seat, lots of room in cab for crap... lots of traction, big bed for more crap, spreader exc.

Cons, no turn radious, cab harder to heat on older drafty trucks, no excuse to not haul buddys around,

pros to ext cab medium bed.
    room for crap, can take a nap, good turn radious, got middle seat for girl friend, yet to much crap in hte back seat so you have an excuse to not haul buddys around, long enough bed for a spreader or crap, good traction with the longish wheel base.

cons. None, its hte perfest truck for plowing

as mentioned above, YOU NEEEEEEEEEDDD a flat bed, if youve never used one boy howdie, let me tell ya, it not as good as heaven but its way hte heck better than chocolate!!!
  14. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I prefer a regular cab and 8' bed, which I have now.. Next truck will be the same.
  15. Buck331

Buck331 Member

I'm using a Ford Super Duty V-10 SuperCab with a 6-1/2' Box, and love it!

Here is some wheelbase data for your review
    137.0" (Regular Cab)
    141.8" (SWB SuperCab)
    158.0" (LWB SuperCab)
    156.2" (SWB Crew Cab); 172.4" (LWB Crew Cab)

Talked to a friend at GM dealership today. He stated that for the GM model year 2014 Trucks, SuperCabs with a 6-1/2' box are NOLONGER AVAILABLE.

GM trucks now only offering Regular Cab Long Box, Crew Cab Standard Box (6-1/2'), and Crew Cab Long Box (8'). No more SuperCab with 6-1/2' Box!

Based on the fact that the are no Dodge dealers in my area, I am currently in the process of buying a new 2014 Ford F-350 XLT SuperCab, 4x4, SRW, 6-3/4' Box, 6.2L 2-Valve SOHC EFI NA V8 (Flex-Fuel) Engine, TorqShift 6-Speed Auto, O/D w/6.2L, 3.73 Non-Limited Slip Axle Ratio with the following additional options: Snow Plow Prep PKG, Remote Start System, Skid Plates, Roof Clearance Lights, Extra Heavy Duty 200amp Alternator, Upfitter Switches, Trailer Brake Controller, Wheel Well Liner, Tough Bed (Spray-in Bedliner), Factory Exterior Back-up Alarm (I will most likely "chop" the alarm and utilize factory wiring for back-up lights), and Camper Package which offers "Box Plug" which I will possibly use to wire power and stop lamp to the tailgate spreader.

The new plow will be a Steel 9'-2"Boss Power-V XT. Logging at the SP-7550V-Box In-Bed Spreader, and Boss Tailgate Salt Spreader Low-Profile Poly Hopper. I'm still undecided regarding the spreader at this point.
  16. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I have two single cabs for plow trucks, ones a single cab long box, one is a flatbed.

I have to agree with the flatbed being nicer, it is WAAAAAAY better for everything honestly. I work with another company quite a bit and I've used one of his trucks a few times, my next truck will be like his. He has an extended cab short box, much nicer. Can put the seat back, take a nap, it has room for tools in the cab, or the ability to bring more then one other person if needed. Just nicer.

If your only doing work, single cab is fine if you have a tool box, but I much prefer extended cab.
  17. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Reg cab with a flat bed is only way to plow snow I prefer dually but do own few single wheel
  18. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I have only had regular cab long box trucks. They are good for plowing. But I prefer a crew cab as a personal truck.
  19. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I like an enclosed cab.
  20. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

Thanks for the input guys, I think I know what I would get down the road now. I also never considered a flat deck before. I don't think I could get away with that in my position but I do like the idea for visibility. I just found out I'm gunna get a new tool box for my truck through my mom's fiancee so that'll help my space issue a bit.