1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Jeep "not to buy"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Switchless, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

Hi guys,
    Well after taking a through beating about my snowblowing:p, I realize it's only a matter of time before I put on the plow. I'm doing only residential properties, and smaller ones, at that. As I understand a small Jeep is the hot ticket for this kind of work. OK, so, what Jeep would be the ultimate combo for plowing. I know I want an automatic, and probably at least a 6 cylinder, but is there other stuff I want. Also, This will only for plowing, so I'm be looking for a used Jeep. Which Jeep (year/make) do I "NOT" want????
    Thanks,
    Pete

2. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Read some threads,, you should be able to find..

You should be able to find some threads about some that use jeeps just use the search, sorry I can't be of more help I don't have one, but your in the right place for looking up information. Also, Welcome to Plowsite, I have not been on the site for that long, but the guys here know their stuff, and most are more than willing to help you out with the Right way to do things,,,, Good luck.

3. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

Re: Read some threads,, you should be able to find..

Thanks,
    I've been blowing for 15 years (OOP's);) , and everyone says the jeep is the ticket for small homeowner drives. I'd keep my paddle blower for keep ups, too.....
    Pete

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I would recommend something older,like pre 90's if possible,before they got into serious electronics and stuff.Manual t-case,no abs,stuff like that.

Jeeps are great,but you may also want to look at some S-10's or rangers,even a toyota if you find one at a good price.Do a search,as a few here are using them.I think a pick up would also be easier to get a blower and salt into,as opposed to a jeep.

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

of all the jeeps i see with plows, most are early to mid 90's. those years seemed to hold a plow the best. I used to plow with my fathers 93 wrangler with a western plow. It worked absolutely great. I have only seen a couple plows on the newer jeeps, but i for some reason i dont think they handle them as well. try and find a jeep before they changed over to the newest body style.

6. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

I'm not against an S10.... I could put my regular blower and paddle blower in the back. That would be nice. How's the turning radius on the S 10.
    ALSO........... How's the small Toyota for plowing????
    Thanks,
    Pete

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I would look for a CJ myself. I know in 85, the CJ's used a Ford computer. So any year fom then on would have an on board computer (and maybe earlier). Another thing to remember about Jeeps, is the older they are, the more parts there are that are readily available, and the cheaper they are, the more simple they are.

As long as the Jeep frame is solid, the rest can be tweaked / rebuilt inexpensively to suit your needs.

chtucker can add some insight here I am sure.

Tommy10plows can add A LOT.

I don't know where in NJ you are, but Johnnie's Motors in West Caldwell always has a bunch of used ones for sale, and Tommy over there really knows about them.

One thing I can add after plowing with a 74 CJ5 with a 4 banger, is you DEFINITELY want a 6 cylinder. The CJ5 with a 4 banger is just too light, and hard to steer when plowing.

~Chuck

8. Switchless

Switchless Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the info..... I'll keep listening;) ;)

9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

What about a TJ, like a late 80's, early 90's They have the 4.0l and are pretty capable of towing or pushing. they do sem to hold their value (and rocker panels) better than CJ's do. If I'm not mistaken that is what Tommy10plows is using. Thats what my buddy plowed his res. with last year. I think they make good little plow trucks, tight turning radius, short wheelbase, and narrow-manuaverable. my only complaint would be their weight, they are light, perhaps an s-10 would be a beffier truck. I can think of a few people that use them, even one running around here that has two with 8' blades on them... maybe he can shed some light on the subject. I think there is a picture of alan's truck on Chuck's website, under "Alan's Homemade Bed" Take a look, i thought it was a very interesting read.

10. plucnik

plucnik Junior Member
    from Chicago

I put a plow on my 97 Jeep Wrangler w/5 speed trannie this year (had 103K on it). While I've only been out a couple of times so far (LET IT SNOW ALREADY!), it has handled well. I've been working with a landscaping company and have a few accounts on my own. I'm not assigned to plow anything too large as they can see that a 250 or Ranger with a larger blade is better suited for those lots (but I can run rings around those guys in a residential area). I have a Western 6 1/2 ft with Timbrens on the front springs. I'm told that Chrysler redesigned the Wrangler in 97, suppose to be for the better. Unfortunately, it's in the shop getting a clutch put on but with 100K+, it was about time. Hope this feedback helps with your decision.....:D

nov06_07.jpg

11. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

why is your rotating beacon on the hood lol? or am i seeing things?

12. plucnik

plucnik Junior Member
    from Chicago

I haven't figured that one out yet...he-he-he. Rag top and it won't stick anywhere else

13. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

switchless,

i have a 93' jeep wrangler 4.0 with a 6'6" western unimount. its a great little plow truck. i use it mainly for driveways, and some sidewalks (on my commercial lots).

this is my 2nd season plowing with it. so far, no problems. the truck never runs hot, and handles the plow fine. the only thing i have noticed is the charging system needs to be beefed up a bit, and possibly a bigger battery.

keep in mind, that the truck is light. sometimes when your pushing big piles, the snow steers the truck. also it wont move mountains, dont try you'll break it.

manuverability and speed are the best things about it.

when looking for a jeep, try to get the six cylinder (4.0), try to get one with the hard top (you'll stay warmer), and try to get one of the older models (pre yj). the newer models have coil springs all around, and ive heard from a few guys that they dont hold up as well as the leaf spring ones.

even if you did get a newer one, im sure you could put timbrens in it, and beef up the suspension a little.

good luck in your search. if you have any more questions, ill try to answer them for you

14. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i would use a 4x4 s10 not a jeep that way you would have a bed for shovels salt and all the other stuff you will need. i own a s10 zr2 and love it.

15. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

love my 1996 Cherokee sport its an auto 4.0 with a 6.5' western uni mount on it. That thing can plow with the best of em.

Jay

16. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

had a 94 jeep with western 6.6,but the best truck i had was my 86 toyota pickup auto 6cyl but it plowed like a big boy.i raised it up 4 inches put some big off road round lights on the front bumper and smilies on the bed rack.added some nicer looking rims with super swamper type tires.with a meyers plow which was the first and last time i had a good meyers plow with no problems all westerns now.but that was my truck through high school and i began my biz with it.i wish if i still had it.sold it 2 years ago with 160,000 on it to a friend of a friend for 5500.still plowing today with close to 200,000.but back to the jeep.worked awsome on driveways half circle drives is where it was the best.did fair on small lots but if the snow was packed down it wouldn't scrap it up.not good at stacking snow.the plow steers the jeep.

17. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Ultimate Jeep for plowing...

80s scrambler 258 I6 with an auto tranny. Best would be the last 86. Longer wheelbase, a bed for a snow blower and a small cab to keep the heat in. Probably 5-15k depending on what you are looking for (and no I am NOT kidding about the 15k for a rust free one)

Most expensive/other choice Brand new Jeep TJ Rubicon, 3/4 ton drivetrain, 4wheel discs, 4spd Auto, Airlockers front and rear. 4:1 transfercase and a 7/70 warranty

My Choice 98-99 Wrangler Auto, 4.0l Factory Hardtop as it has rear wiper and defroster, A few upgrades to the steering and front springs and you have a great truck. Probably 8-12k

Plows.. 6.5' of your favorite brand or if "build" the jeep I think it would be cool to put a 7.2' Boss V.

Howard

18. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

chtucker,
    i agree with you on the scambler, i bet one of those would be great for driveways. Their pretty had to find around here, especialy in decient shape. Me and my friend had a '82 ( i think) that we where gonna rebuild. We started ripping everything off the frame and we where gonna pretty much rebuild the whole thing, we finally gave up though because the frame was in such bad shape it wasn't even salvagible. It's now in a scape yard somewhere :(

switchless,
    it seams like alot of guys in our area are using jeep charokee's for some reason, I have never used one but the guys I know that do love them. Acually during the christmas storm, since the ground wasn't frozen but the drivways where sheets of ice, I was plowing one driveway and I slide off the side of the drive and my passenger side tires sunk about 10" into the mud. So I called one of the guys that we work with to come pull me out with the F550, before he got there one of the guys I know with a cherokee stops and offered to pull me out, I thought there was no way that thing was gonna pull my 1 ton chevy with weight in the back stuck in 10" off mud out. Well it took a few trys but he acually got me out :nod: so you may want to look into something like that :)

19. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

about jeeps

Switchless let be help here a little i have worked for a jeep dealer for 15yrs has a tech, i know most of the guys are leaning you back to the older cjs but a few things to consisder if it is a older cj with a 258 6 cylinder it must have all the cold weather parts on the engine in tack ie aircleaner thermac doors working carb base heater working if not carb icing is gonna make it one rough plow run in 93 jeep started using the 4.0l fuel injected 6 cylinder this is the cats #%$ not to far advanced that a shop manuel and a little evffort on your part you could understand the electronics enough to feel comfortable plus its a very dependable system , for my snow plowing buss to me personallly on our reside route i bought a 97 tj which is the newest body style very easy to make plow ready chys sells front air shocks for plowing 100.00 running a 6'6 western uni it also has a standard correct fitting hardtop which keeps the guys from icing up inbetween jobs i cant give more info on jeeps if you like to me the yj 87-96 and the tj 97 to present with 4.0l are the way to go, and also we use a rear back drag plow so this makes my little tj one of the beat resi vechs i have ever had take care

20. DMAN

DMAN Junior Member

Air Shocks for Jeep

Fred,

I have just recently put a 6.5 Western sport ute plow on my 95' Wrangler and i was wondering if putting on the air shocks would be a good idea rather than adding a leaf to the front springs. I need help with the sag when the plow is up. Do they work good??Are they a hassle to deal with once the plow is off and how about installation?? Alot of guys here suggest timbrens for help with the sag. Any help would be greatly appreciaated!!

DMAN