1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is your perfict rig?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NW Snow Removal, Jan 24, 2011.

1. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

If you wanted to get a new or used truck, what would be your ideal setup. Im looking for something a little smaller than this for my next big purchase, but this truck looks very nice. http://www.windycityjaytrucksales.c...id=07335626X1K24K2011J10I04I05JAMQ5961R0&veh=

would definitely get the job done, but it is a little too big to operate without a CDL. This is very close to what Im looking for to add to my fleet. I would love to see what you are considering adding to your fleet. Post pics or possibly links to prices of your ideal rig. hopefully we can see some great deals, and share some awesome plow truck dreams.

2. NW Snow Removal

something messed up on the link and it won't copy and paste correctly, but the truck Im referring to is on page 2 at the bottom.It's listed at 45k this is the pic of the beauty[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  3. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

I have a 4300 and its the best plowing truck I have ever used. You can see all your work, lots of power, and you don't have to worry about getting over weight tickets. I have mine for sale because I'm buying a new one with a hook lift. You will love plowing in these trucks.

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

For what I do, I think a F550 4x4 with an aluminum flatbed dump set up would be the cats ars. I want to spray liquid onto the rock salt next year and a flat bed would give me the room and accessibility for both. The weight rating might be pushing it but we're only talking maybe a 100 gallon tank. The plow would probably be another Fisher Extreme V and maybe wings. Who know's I want to get more into residentials so even a F150 would be fine for those, then I could buy a couple of F150's for the price of an F550.

5. NW Snow Removal

Im right there with you. this is my toss up. Im going to ask my local municipality if I can tour their shop and see all the different variations they have. I really like window shopping. :) Most of our rigs are 3500s and currently max out with 2 yard spreaders. We only have 2 dump trucks. We really need to get another. Having about 7 tons on a truck is very nice, instead of 3 overfull v-boxes.

6. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

I wouldnt want to be doing malls etc with that, just lanes and roads, because of the poor visibility backing up.

7. NW Snow Removal

what would you want? this is a thread where we want to hear about your dream rig. please share.

8. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

1 truck that distributes salt or and with the flick of a switch. pick a mix spreader and one that has a spinner detach so you can fill onsite bins that are low with pails.

9. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

that truck will have the same visability as a F550 mason dump but it has larger/better mirrors. thats alot of truck for me, i only do residential. be careful with F550's, myself and friends are all dealing with delaminated fuel tanks for the 2nd time and 6.0L and 6.4L injectors will not survive liek the 7.3L will with low fuel preasure. food for thought, im steering away from fords with my next truck.

my perfect truck for plowing for residentials is a nice 1 ton reg cab 8.5' plow small, great visability. we have a tight loop and can blow out 10 driveways an hour for most of the storm

10. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

I do only residential. Either of these two would work for the task, but I'd like one of each.

Toolcat with snowblower attachment
    F250 ('99+) F250 with Boss 9-2 Vplow and wings

Toolcat would also be used for snow relocation, which would require a dump truck. I'd probably just sub that out rather than handle it internally. That's the setup I'm working toward, the Toolcat with blower and F250 Vplow.

11. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

This depends totally on what I'm plowing. I actually would like a jeep with a plow on about 6 of my little apartment building lots. I have an F350 crew cab short box now, and if I ONLY used it for plowing I'd rather have a regular cab long box.... I only have a couple of lots that would justify a truck like the pic and it'd still be too tight in some areas for it to get the job done.

12. NW Snow Removal

:salute: Thats all good. we have a navigator for sites like you mentioned. He loves it. Site specific equipment is where it is at, and F350 crew cabs are my bread and butter. I love them. I just need to slim up and run 1 truck instead of 3 on certain occasions.

13. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

It's interesting for me to think about now that you've got me thinkin'.

Currently I'm a 1 man band. I downsized a few years ago, at the biggest, I was running 2 F350's, 1 Ford CF8000, and a skiddie. At this point I have no backup truck. I have only the good graces of my buddies should something happen, so I've been thinking about buying another truck as a backup and putting it to work subbing for maybe 3-5 hours for a buddy of mine if I can find a decent driver. I hate to buy something that's going to sit all year long. My thoughts were an F450 or F550 with a dump box that I could put to work in the summer too, but maybe I should just find a beater pickup in the spring instead. Then again, I could find an old Jeep and hang a plow on that too for probably not a whole lotta dollars, but then again, it'd be a little stressful plowing some of my bigger lots with that.

14. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

15. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

I don't plow much right now ( I'm only 15) but I think for residentials expetially, a 2500HD regular cab short bed gas or diesel with an 8'6" extreme vee would be sweet for driveways...

16. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I agree 100%. I dont believe that shortbeds are an option but I suppose if someone were to shorten the frame on one and put on a shortbed it would be awesome. I'm happy with a reg cab, 8' bed and a nice 8'6'' Fisher V.

17. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Im very happy plowing with my mason dump. the dual wheels go through anything and the 9' western makes short work of large lots, you just dont have great visibility backing up and the turn radius is large in 4x4.
    since i cant get this truck in most driveways i think itd be awsome to have a western HTS on my 1500 but id probably never do that as an IFS wouldnt be able to handle it.

18. snocrete

snocrete Banned

As far as trucks go......a SRW 1ton reg cab 8ft flat bed w/power plow on front, 16ft ebling on back, & vbox.

19. NW Snow Removal

very nice equipment. you guys are like triple us. Did you buy your 4300's new or used?

20. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I am pretty happy with my setup, mason dumps with blizzard power plow and spreader for commercials. Changes I will make in the future include 5500 replacing 3500, undertailgate spreader replacing v-box, and aluminum dump replacing the steel dump bed. For residential I run a 2500 reg cab long bed with a hiniker c-plow. Great setup, just needs a spreader, too light in the rear.