1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what is your opinion on this statement (please read and respond)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cutshortlandscaping, Dec 13, 2015.

1. cutshortlandscaping

cutshortlandscaping Senior Member

Hi guys i have been in the business for about 5 years i am trying to build my commercial side of the business. i am fully insured and have workers comp. all my bids are gone over by a lawyer and my terms state that we plow and salt directly after the storm we have made it as bullet prof as possible and spent many hours and lots of money to be protected from law suits i know eventually i will be sued and have everything set so when i do i have done everything i said i would do and we get thrown out of the law suit as quickly as possible. now my dad who has never even sat in a pick up and is a pencil pusher suit in the city gives me a lot of crap. His main argument is that when i start doing bigger commercial i will get sued the first year and the insurance will pull my coverage and i will loose my business no matter what i do so i am asking your opinions so i can show him that he is wrong so if you guys do any commercial please state if you have been sued or not and if you have lost your business and also state how full of it he is

thank you for your time
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Ive known guys in business for 15-20 years that have never been sued and all they do is commercial accounts. BTW there's not a lot of glory in commercial accounts. I have a friend who just does residential, he does around 80-90 accounts and loves it. He runs 2 trucks with 6ish hour routes and 1 sidewalk guy and clears 130/hr per truck...good luck getting that doing commercial, around here it's impossible.
  3. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

No matter how you write it and how many lawyers go over it. Anyone can sue you, then the Insurance Company pays out because it is cheaper than a litigation.
  4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Does your dad know you call him a pencil pusher suit hahaha
  5. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I don't know you or your dad, so what I am typing is a broad statement.

Sometimes we should listen to our parents. . .Even as adults. Other times, we need to think on our own and step outside the comfort levels of our parents.

You asked for input so I believe you have thick skin. My honest opinion? If you want to step it up a notch, I would work on some basics like grammar and punctuation. If you want to step from $50-500 jobs up to larger jobs, you need to be on your toes. Everything needs to be a well oiled machine from the equipment, the dispatching, the operators, to the bids going out. Throw out a bid for thousands and change nothing in the punctuation or grammar department in the estimates or email communications? Not the best initial impression for the customers.

Not taking jabs. Just honest input. Maybe you just threw this together for input. Then again, you threw it together for input on a public forum.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

^ relax Francis, it's just a forum, we don't need to use proper grammar ER even spell good.
    Because well, even you make a error now and then...
    You would be surprised at the lack,of grammar in upper management in fortune 500 business.

You could get sued or it may never happen.
    That's why we have insurance.

Just pay attention to what you do
    And what is hopping in your lots over the winter.
    Salt if nessary.

Yet folks do get sued and loose their business and file bankruptcy.
    It happens, some just get back into it some become employees.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

100% true! We had a Lab that was never aggressive to anyone, some lady came to our door, he ran up to the door barking (like dogs do), my Wife open the door to hand her something and he barked again a bit more aggressively, she jumped back but was never close to being bitten, long story short she sued us, we never even knew anything happen until our agent called us like 2 months later and said we had to get rid of the dog. He said they gave her 10k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He never saw any xrays etc. So all you can do is follow whats in your contract and document anything and everything.
  8. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

You don't just get thrown out of a lawsuit in a week, or a month. Can take years. Even if your found not at fault, it will still be in your file. Your rates will go up. And you do not start to plow till after it stops snowing.
  9. cutshortlandscaping

We plow through the storm but salt once after the storm is over. Than if the client wants more salt it is there responceability to call us. we can look after your site but that is a extra charge per trip to your site, when we do that we check in the morning mid day and at night.
  10. cutshortlandscaping

Yes he does
  11. cutshortlandscaping

You have some good points my spelling and grammer is much better when I'm talking to clients
  12. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I personally have not been sued, have a friend who has been doing commercial for 18 years, he has been sued 3 times. All 3 times he showed documentation that either the client did not want the service, he attempted to service the area as best as possible, or that he hadn't had a reasonable amount of time to service the site before the "accident" happened. All three times he didn't lose apparently.

Have another friend who's been doing it for 22 years, never been sued. Depends on the property you do also. My insurance specifically asks if I do big box stores like walmart(even asked specifically for walmart), or if I do any 24 hour gas stations, or any medical. Surprisingly medical didn't raise my price significantly, but my agent said I don't even want to know the price if I did walmart.
  13. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Tell your dad their is a reason youre in the business and not him. Every lot needs to be plowed and will by someone else if not you.
  14. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Been plowing commercial since 2006.

I have been sued now twice.

Once at a place I just plowed and they had their own maintenance doing sidewalks and they had a slip and fall on the sidewalk and I got pulled into it, took a year went to court and my side got thrown out because my contract stated we only did the roads.

Second one was last year, Long story, car parked in a spot not moved during a snow storm, went back to do clean up still not moved, went back next mid morning next day still not moved, they moved the car that afternoon and someone slipped on that one spot.
    I had pictures of the place, during the storm, after the storm, during clean up and next day, had documentation, the owner was notified and was there that morning and saw for themselves.
    my insurance said I did everything right.
    They still paid the person who slipped $5,000. Cheaper for them.

Still have the same insurance but of course my rates went up by $400.

My insurance well drop me if I have more than 4 claims a year or if I plow, walmart, home depot, lowes, the big box stores because I guess they have a lot of claims every year no matter how good the contractor is doing them.

Go for it nothing wrong with expanding but depending on what commercial you have as a client you might want to consider increasing your GL insurance to a 5 mill just to be safe if you don't already have one.