1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is your definition of "high end" customer.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Mar 19, 2013.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So lets hear it.:confused:

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Zero tolerance, willing to pay for premium deicing material and wants piles hauled away.

3. grandview

Need to back up my post. I meant residential customers.

4. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

typically comes with lots of headaches, i.e. curvy drive, turnarounds, funky garage placement, lack of area to pile snow, typically charging $500+ per season, at least around here, going rate for avg. double drive is 250-280.

5. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

That's what I would of wrote. Similar numbers as well.

6. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i guess the only difference between a high end customer and a standard customer with all of what I wrote earlier would be how much the house is valued at.

when you say high end you typically think expensive house. But a very modest house could have similar drive conditions and still pay top dollar because of whats required to plow it.

7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I don't get into that too much. In my area residential properties are gobbled up by the uninsured wannabes.

8. grandview

So something like this would be?

[​IMG]

9. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Depends. Are they willing to pay high end prices? Just because its a large property does not mean its high end.

10. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Im pretty sure thats JDdaves summer home.

11. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

My friend who I do site work with in warm weather has the ultimate "high end client" Gets called in 2 hrs before any predicted snow, on the clock while waiting.(loader,and up to 8 trucks)
    Plows non-stop during event,uses anywhere fro 40 to 100 tons per event when 10 to 20 would due.
    At end of event loads and trucks all snow to an on site location.
    The half mile entrance road has one truck running non stop,salting and plowing even if not needed.They once had complaint that snow was accumulating on the access road and that it was not acceptable,turned out it wasn't snow it was salt!
    They will drive around with plows up just to drive over the salt to help work it in.
    If a snow flurry comes through they will call in 2 or 3 trucks "just in case'.
    I could go on and on about this goose that lays a golden egg!
    All of this is required by the company,I joke that if he ever has to bid a normal job he'll be lost!

12. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

That's actually his kids doll house.

13. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I used to sub a truck to a site. You would be put on stand by 24 hour prior to the event than be called in 4 hours before storm started. No plows larger than 10' permited no pushers on loaders and list goes on. I would go thru 2 cutting edges a year. What great money it was to due nothing but drive around the complex making sparks..

14. grandview

So I guess the point is, is it the price of the house or want you think the owner is worth.If they both say plow it nothing special would the price be different?

15. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Because the more expensive houses generally have a bigger driveway, even if only slightly, I generally charge more. I charge $20-30 for a normal drive, the high end homes are generally $35-$45, but they are another 10 ft longer.

16. grandview

So for the above driveway. Would you charge grandma who lives there the same if it was a millionaire ?

17. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

No cheating,your the one who signed up for the"business ethics" course.Do your own homework!

18. grandview

Actually just trying to set you guys up.

19. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I would charge the same, or quote it at least. I may think about asking how much he thinks it's worth first lol. With any luck he'd say more then I was thinking, but I'd still probably charge the same amount. $50 for that driveway, thats what I'd say, maybe I'm far off idk.

20. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

This not as uncommon as some may think

I have a flake to flake zero tolerance site plus relocation and the outfit across the road from me makes me look like I hardly show up