1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is wrong with my Western Tornado?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Ropinghorns, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

I decided to start a new thread on this since I do not have any experience with spreaders.
    It was raining out so I filled my new found Tornado half full of sand since that is what I will be using mostly in and around Tulsa. This used Tornado might need some help or a smarter operator.
    Several of you have advised me to get the inverted v as to not put so much weight on the belt of what ever kind I purchased. But trying to save $, here I am.
    I think this one needs an inverted V or more powerful motor. I saw this one slow down and completely stop running and so I turned it off. I then manually turned it in reverse and kept working with it till it had about 6 inches of [ wet ] sand on the belt. Then it started to speed up. [ Keep in mind it was 70 degrees out and I had only filled it half full].
    This is my first spreader, and it is used, but with all the upgrades since they came out. I was just trying it out to see how it would do. What a letdown. Also, with out an owners manual, I did not know what the red light was blinking for on the control knob. Any one know?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I would post this in the Ice Management forum.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

More than likely you overloaded the belt. As for the flashing red light, thats a troubleshooting code, different amount of flashes means something different.

Heres a link to westerns site where you can download owners manual,

http://www.westernplows.com/publibrary.asp?cat=362

4. Ropinghorns

Thanks Crash, But I can't get their website to open.

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

the link worked for me, just go to westerns site and click on "publications" across the top of the page.

6. Ropinghorns

Got it, That helps a bunch,[as we say in OKLA]. Thanks, Bill