1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is wrong with my f-250??!!??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Evan528, Feb 17, 2001.

1. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

I own a 2000 F250 with the 5.4 liter v-8 engine. I am getting 8-9 miles per gallon :(! what is the problem here? I am hearing from other owners talkin about how there getting 14-15. Im going to be pulling a trailer with this truck come spring.... im nervous to see what i will be getting then! Any body have any ideas to what is wrong with thia truck? 8-9 mpg is unaceptable!

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Is it 2wd or 4wd? Excab?8-9 is a little ow empty-I wouldnt expect any more than 11 on its best day if its 4wd.Dont forget the Ford has a ton of frontal area,it will never get the mileage of a lower,lighter truck-unless its a diesel.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have a sub that plows for me that owned a 99 F -350 reg cab p/u with the 5.4 and the best mileage he ever had was 9.3 mpg.
    He traded it for a 2000 left over F -250 with a PS for better mileage. Seems to me that around 8-10 is common for the 5.4 and if people are getting more, they are in denial.
    Dino

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Is it me, or is that kind of mileage pothetic? I thought the guys with the V-10 were getting that kind of mileage!

5. Evan528

John, yes its a 4wd extended cab. why does the fact that its 4wd decrease mpg even when its in 2wd? I was actually hoping you were going to tell me theres something wrong with my truck...lol! I love this truck but the gas consumption is just killing me!

6. BobbyB

BobbyB Junior Member

Hate to give you bad news to but my 93 extended cab 4+4 runs 10 and under around 8 mpg when i'm pulling my 18foot enclosed trailer

7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Even though the truck is in 2wd mode, there is a lot of extra drag up front (differential gears, U-joints, axleshafts etc) compared to a truck that only has 2wd. This is what "eats" mileage even though you're not in 4x4. If it's any consolation, my '75 GMC dually pulls about the same kind of numbers and it's only 2wd! :eek:

1975 GMC C-35 "Blood, Sweat & Gear$"

8. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn Junior Member

were getting 14 mpg in our 2000 F250 extended cab 2wd std. trans V10...

9. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

I have a 2000 f250 SD Regular cab i will check the milage next week and try to get back with you but im sure im getting at least 10 mpg I would imagine that with the hubs locked it would be less

10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Member

11. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Evan,ithink your mileage is normal,especially since you have the heaviest and tallest configuration.Your trucks empty weight is over 6000 lbs,if you've added a bunch of extra's its probably close to 7K.The 5.4 OHC engine is not a good choice in heavy vehicles,and mileage suffers.Fords have always had terrible fuel mileage on gas powered F250-and bigger trucks,they are just heavy beasts.

12. plowking35

from SE CT

That extra 4K for the diesel doesnt sound so bad now ehh?
    The diesel option does cost more, but with 2x the fuel mileage and resale you will save money with it. Do your self a favor, trade the truck in while it still has low mileage on it, and buy a diesel. What you save in fuel per month will more than pay for the extra option.
    My sub is now getting 18-20 mpg with his new truck with the PS
    Dino

13. RNH

RNH Junior Member

Gas Guzzler

Gas Guzzler

I know what you mean, my 92 F250 has the straight six, with a three speed trans, and sucks gas down like theres no tomorrow. At 3000 rpm its running 65mph, it seem all I do is drive from station to station. But my next truck will have a diesel in it, I herd a rumor that Ford will be coming out with a Cummings diesel soon.

14. plowking35

from SE CT

Cummins not Cummings
    And no ford is staying with Navistar, in fact they have a 6.0 liter PS2 coming out for the 2003 model year.Ford has alot of money in R&D in this engine, so they plan on using it for a while. Ford and Chevy both offer cummins and Cat in the class 6 and 7 trucks along with allison trannies.
    Dino

15. Evan528

Thanks for rubbing it in kirby ;)! Now i completly understand why you tried to hard to convince me to buy a deisel! Heres the thing though... 90% of my driving is stop and driving and short distances... with a deisel it it not good for the engine to be turned off and back on constantly. I dont want to leave my truck on at every job or estimate! Ive seen alot of deisels in parkin lots with the doors locked at running. I dont want to deal with that! Well I love everything about my truck expet this.... il just have to live with this I guess!

16. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Evan,
    I think that I have the same truck as you. It is a 2000 F250 SD, extended cab, short bed, 4WD with a 5.4 liter and the 4.10 gears. I have had this truck for about 18 months now, and it is not my daily driver. I use it mostly for plowing and some side work that I do. So, the amount of mileage I have on it now is a bit low, only 9000 miles thus far. But I track the mileage all of the time and this truck runs between 12 and 13 mpg consistently. By looking at the other posts here, perhaps I'm just lucky but I thought I'd chime in anyway.

-- The majority of driving I do is mostly around town / short highway trips of less than 15 miles

17. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Member

Sorry Evan, couldn't help it.

18. plowking35

from SE CT

Evan your concers are really unbfounded. With the new type of injection systems, and lower ends, they arent prone to the stop and gp cycles that used to bother the older designed diesels.
    Dino

19. mike48114

mike48114 Junior Member

I hate reading people argue about this... everyone who buys and drives alot of trucks like me knows gas millage is affected dramaticly by driving style.. for example i usally drive a 98 GMC 34 ton 4x4, and i get 10 miles per gallon... we have a fleet of 7 trucks and that is the best of any that arnt deisel...oh ya and the guy that was preachin deisel deisel deisel---We have a 2000 Ford ps deisel and it gets at best 13 .... its all in how you drive.
    Also for better gas millage i recomend a K&N air filter... it really works no b.s

Mike

[Edited by Eric ELM on 02-18-2001 at 10:10 PM]

20. plowking35

from SE CT

what truck is that PS in?
    Application also makes a huge difference, along with gear ratio.
    Also no argueing with the FACT that I can plow for 30hrs on 40 gallons of diesel, and the same type truck with a big block will take 2x that amount of fuel. You cannot, I mean cannot sit there and argue that the same truck with the same body, tranny, and gear ratio will get the same mileage between gas and diesel. Just wont happen ever!
    Dino

[Edited by plowking35 on 02-18-2001 at 09:22 PM]