1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is to many miles On a diesel??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ChipsEarthWorks, Mar 7, 2007.

1. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

Hey got a friend looking at a 97 f350 crew cab,xlt,auto with 257967k miles. IS this to much even for a diesel? Let me know what you guys think.

Oh and they are asking $9400 it is on ebay and it is a rust free Texas truck.

2. DJC

DJC Senior Member

It all depends on how took care of it. Thats not to many miles but I would take it to a garage and have them look at it. That price seems a little high to me.

3. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

The only problem is he is in Ct and the truck is in texas so taking it to a garag is slim untill he gets it , if he gets it Kinda a catch 22 you have to buy it befor seeing it, but you have to see it befor buying.:dizzy:

4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I think that is too much money. Personally, I wouldnt buy a diesel truck with over 200K miles on it unless it was a Cummins, but thats just me. And I drive a Powerstroke:rolleyes: JMO

5. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

It's not just the motor that has 250K on it. It's also the trans, axles, brakes, etc. I think $9400 is a little high and I'm always concerned about vehicles that may have been in a flood.

Not that that is the case here, I just always think about that when I see a used vehicle from that area.

I'd be glad to sell my 94 F450 diesel stakebed with 105K (original, at that) on it for $9400 (it's even got a plow!).

JMO.

6. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

i bought my 99 with 180,000 on it for 10,900. The same dealer that i bought it from offered me 9,500 for it with 250,000 on it.

7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i have that same truck, i've had it since new and always took very good care of it. i would consider mine to be in good/excellent shape. it only has 96k miles. kbb says it's only worth around $9500 the funny part is i paid $35k for it, what a joke because it's barley broke in.

8. SGTPOOL

SGTPOOL Member

Check This Out. Pls Help Post Pics 1992 F-250 Diesel 17,595 Orig. Miles

1992 F-250 Diesel 4sale 17,595 Orig. Miles. Pls Help Me Post Pic's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HEY GUYS, I'M LOOKING TO SELL MY 1992 FORD F-250. THE TRUCK HAS THE 7.3 INTERNATIONAL DIESEL. 4WD XLT, 17,595 MILES, BLACK AND GRAY. I BOUGHT IT IN NOVEMBER 2006 WITH JUST A LITTLE OVER 15000 ORIGINAL MILES. UNTIL I BOUGHT THE TRUCK IT HAD NEVER BEEN PLOWED WITH OR PULLED A TRAILER. IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A HITCH. HAS A BUMBER HITCH, BUT NOTHING ELSE.I HAVE THE CARFAX REPORT TO VERIFY THE MILEAGE. WHILE HOME IN UPSTATE NY, I BOUGHT A 2 YEAR OLD SNO-WAY MT-24 FOR THE TRUCK. BOTH THE TRUCK AND PLOW ARE IN GREAT SHAPE. THE MILES ON THE TRUCK ARE TOTALLY ORIGINAL. THE INTERIOR LOOKS AS IF NO ONE HAS EVER SAT IN THE SEAT. THERE IS NO RUST WHAT SO EVER ON THE TRUCK. IT HAS POWER WINDOWS, LOCKS, SLIDING REAR WINDOW, POWER LUMBER SEATS, TINTED WINDOWS. THE PLOWS ABOUT 2 YEARS OLD. IT'S IN REALLY GOOD SHAPE. IT HAS THE WIRED REMOTE KEY PAD.

I PLANNED TO USE THE TRUCK TO PULL MY BIKE AND PLOW DRIVEWAYS IN THE WINTER. THE WINTER WAS TERRIBLE FOR US AND I HAVE SINCE HAD A CHANGE OF PLANS. I HAVE USED THE PLOW 3 TIMES, ON ABOUT 15 DRIVEWAYS....TOTAL. BEFORE I PLOWED WITH IT (2/14/07) I PUT BRAND NEW TIRES ON IT AND A HEAVY DUTY TRANSMISSION COOLER. I ALSO REPLACED THE MASTER CYLINDER, FRONT BRAKE HOSES, BOTH FRONT CALIPERS, PADS AND ROTORS. MAINLY DUE TO IT BEING PARKED FOR THE MAJORITY OF IT'S LIFE.

THIS WOULD BE PERFECT FOR SOMEONE LOOKING TO START LANDSCAPE BUSINESS. S%$T THE TRUCK NEW ALONE WOULD COST CLOSE TO $40,000. I AM ASKING/ TRYING TO GET $20,000 FOR THE PACKAGE. I LIVE IN YORK PA, HAVE FAMILY IN BOTH UP AND DOWNSTATE NEW YORK, SO I COULD HELP WITH DELIVERY. THIS TRUCK IS IN MINT CONDITION. DON'T HAVE TO SELL IT, JUST THINKING ABOUT DOING SOMETHING ELSE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO POST PHOTO'S. IT KEEPS TELL ME THEY ARE TOO LARGE.

IF INTERESTED GIVE ME A CALL OR EMAIL ME AT MIKEPOOL1@HOTMAIL.COM

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If that is the original engine it has a bit of life left if it'd been taken care of. If it's going to be just a plow truck with few 1,000 miles put on it each season it would not be that bad. You figure no rust, frame solid, you would just have to throw parts into it to keep it on the job.
    We have many PSD ambulances near 300k that work everyday without a problem.
    I drove one with 389K at another company that did just fine, a bit of smoke behind it at times, but it did go down the road. Price is a bit high though.

10. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Too much money!

I agree with most above me that the asking price is to high.
    I would say a high of $6,500 if the truck was mint except for the mileage.
    Allot of the Texas trucks that I have seen advertised with high miles have been ranch trucks.5th wheel or goose-neck ,no plowing but working just as hard...
    I posted a 1997 F350 4x4 P.S with 86k+- a week ago for $4995- for example.
    As far as the mileage, I have seen diesels replaced with under 100k on them and then some seem to go forever.No real rule on that one,much better chance of getting a good one if you have the service records.
    If your buddy is serious he should be able to find a mobile mechanic to take a look at the truck for him.At least jack it up and check the front end etc...For a small fee compared to the purchase price.
    I have done that in the past with a couple of out of state purchases.

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

When we were looking at new trucks we were looking at a Dodge w/cummins turbo ect. There was a guy trading in his OLD Dodge that had 400k plus, this thing seemed to run just fine but the body was really rough. IMO, any engine with that many miles is living on barrowed time, but it all depends how it was cared for. 9k seems kinda pricy for any truck with 250k plus on it.

12. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Considering he can't even test drive the truck due to the distance I would pass. IMO it is too high priced. As far as mileage I would have no problem at all buying a diesel at that mileage BUT I would want to know documented maintenance and have it checked out first. I have had several PSD's and a Cummins all but one have more miles that that truck and the engines are running great.

13. bobcat s-160

bobcat s-160 Senior Member
    from MI

I seen a 7.3 with 1.2 million miles on it. Nothing done to the engine