1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is this?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by cretebaby, Nov 7, 2008.

1. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I know it is salt. But other wise what is this it looks a little course:confused:

P1000091 RS.jpg

P1000090 RS.jpg

P1000089 RS.jpg

P1000092 RS.jpg

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I think its course bulk salt.:dizzy::drinkup:

3. progressivelawn

progressivelawn Member

sand color salt lol sand idn fine sand for golf courses traction aid?

4. Ford-101

Ford-101 Senior Member

It is a new kind salt it is mix with molasses. I guess it is sopose to stick better to the road. We got 30 ton of it last year to try and it didnt work to bad. Its price is a little higher from what im told. o yea the deer realy like it to lol

5. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Throw some on your margarita glass!

6. progressivelawn

progressivelawn Member

ahhh man some citys around hear have to many deer insteded of givieing deer permits they should consier that

7. TLB

TLB Senior Member

you drink those:dizzy:

8. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

see the problem is the hondas dont kill deer the deers kill the hondas.

9. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

looks like magic salt.....rock salt treated with Calcium chloride

10. SNOWANDICEMAN

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

Looks like magic to me with a little calcium chloride in it looks very wet!!

11. cretebaby

its coning out of the barge this way would it already be treated with magic

12. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

im pretty sure magic is magnesium chloride not calcium chloride.

13. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Yaaaaaa......Im gonna stick with PJ's Blue smurf salt!!! I like that better! LOL :bluebounc :D :waving:

14. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Play sand for my sand box, now hands off!:waving:

15. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Cretebaby,
    where you runnin in to see that at was that out of the quads or Muscatine? I have heard from the Skoie guy in Ames he was contacted by some guy saying he had some barge's of salt he wanted to sell off

You should try to see what he's selling it for!! hell that's got to be over 100k tons wise, and there reg salt behind that I think!

and I also heard out of the same guy, that there is not a shortage but a delivery issue they can't get enough emptys to fill. He gets them in by rail and that's what the mines out of Ks and Mo have told him!!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  16. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i doubt it would be treated with geomelt that early in the process......i've seen dark colored straight salt before.

17. cretebaby

found out it is brown rock salt

16 barges of it come from south america

18. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

KCRG did a story about this salt a couple weeks ago. Apparently this stuff is cheaper then the normal white salt that we are use to seeing in these parts. Bad thing about it is, is that it's not as fine and comes in larger junks. One thing the report said was that this stuff could do some serious damage to a windshield if the car behind you is following to closely while salting.

19. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

we used this stuff many years ago, barged into Connectcut. We liked it because the darker color helped attract the sunlight better, therefore helping on out heavily tree lined (pine) roads,.. Our roads are like driving through tunnels. The darker salt, is much better at least for our situation., One year, the salt was bright red,,, came from Ireland,.