1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is this?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cameo89, Mar 6, 2008.

1. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

looks like a 351 ford???:D:drinkup:

3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

They just posted the wrong pic. That is a BB GM. Looks like an old fleet truck so they are probably selling another truck with a BB and got the pics crossed up.

I think that might be a 366 big block GM

4. NBI Lawn

Not even a little bit

5. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Looks like a 366 like said.. I've only seen them really in the top kick's around here, the real old ones.. Mid 80's

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

motor

looks like a 454

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Engine shot is definitely incorrect for the ad...

It's actually a pic of an '86-'88 C30 1 ton 2WD...so it'd be a 454.

The general never built a 2.5 big block. :D

8. 350-CHEVY

350-CHEVY Member

By The Looks Of The Size Of The Valve Cover And The Cerpentine Belt Configuration I Would Say It Looks Like A 454

9. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  10. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Not sure if the pics have changed, but thats pretty clearly a 2.8L V-6. Look at the valve cover and could the plug wires...there are only 3.

The ad is all messed up though...it lists 2.5L (old iron duke I-4 displacement), it also says its a V6 truck and that its equipped with a V8.

11. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

If you look at the exhaust manifold it's a V-8

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Might want to look again.

Not sure how you get big block exterior components to fit a 2.8 V-6...

13. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Don't know those items by sight, but I only see 3 plug wires on teh driver's side of that motor. It does look like a possible 4th exhaust outlet on that manifold though...I initially took it to be the downtube at the end of the manifold, but thats in the middle of a standard manifold, isn't it?

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

This might help you see the difference between a big block and a 2.8...

Heres a pic of a 2.8. Notice the size difference between the power steering pump in relation to the physical size of the engine. Now look at the same relation on the engine in the ad. See the size difference in the actual engine between a big block and a 2.8?

Also if you look at the plug wires near the distributor, you can see four of them coming over to the driver side of the engine.

MSD=tbi (Small).jpg

15. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

this was a fun thread to read. Good catch on that photo, I love catching goofs like that. Caught a photo of a truck I bought, one undercarriage shot was a front wheel drive caddy with dual exhaust, dealer didn't believe me when I said it didn't look like an AWD Yukon.
    That is definitely a BBC

16. NBI Lawn

Wow, how were you able to narrow it down that far :eek:? I was thinking 366 only because of the straight up and down upper coolant hose and neck. How can you tell the years? Wouldnt it be fuel injected if it were an 87+ or was that only the small blocks?

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Process of elimination...

One of the under side shots clearly shows it's 2WD and you can also see the oil pan, and it's a BB oil pan. So that makes it the same truck as the top side pics with the BB.

If you look real close at the PS pump it has the return line for the hydroboost brake system, so that would mean it has to be a 1 ton.

They didn't have have multi ribbed V belts on the BB until late '85, so that means it has to be newer than an '84.

In '89 they used a dedicated TBI intake rather than the old style Q-jet intake with an adapter for the TBI that they used on the first TBI equipped BB. So that means it has to be older than an '89. In fact if you look real close it actually is TBI, you can just see the corner of the Q-Jet to TBI adapter plate under the air cleaner. (You could get the 1 tons with a Q-jet all the way up to the '89 model year with the heavy duty emmisions package)

So if it's an '86-'88 model year C30 with a BB, it has to be a 454 as that was the only BB available.

Just for facts: A 366 (or 427 tall deck engine) used twin thermostat housings with two upper rad hoses to the rad. Easy give away.

18. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Wow....never thought this would go so far, but any ways I am looking for a late 80's/early 90's Chevy S-10/GMC S-15 Sonoma 4 cyl. or V6 4.3 liter (NOT 2.8 liter) as a reliable and cheap truck, plus somthing w/ good fuel mileage!, I can't handle $100 plus to fill my truck up every 3-4 days.

Thanks, Yon

19. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Your realize this is B&B were talking about here?! :D :drinkup:

20. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Good info B&B.

Although I do have a 1990 1 ton with the Qjet mani and the TBI adapter. Original motor in the truck. 12/89 manufactured date.

It was probably a left over or they found it in a closet some where in the plant. :)