1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is this?? What does it do? Pics inside

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by scitown, Oct 17, 2008.

1. scitown

scitown Senior Member

This "thing" ,I was told, Is not even a chevy part. Anyone want to guess what it is and what it is doing under the hood of my 2000 OBS 3500 ? Keep in mind this could be something very obvious, could even be for my Fisher mm1 plow. I have no Idea. Truck was new to me last winter and I never thought anything of it. Any guesses would be great thanks

CIMG0899.JPG

2. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Few more pics. This is just kinda hanging around on the driver's side up toward the windshield. The wires going to the extra battery are real real small. The one small wire coming off of this fancy piece of crap goes thru the firewall and seems to disapear. My friend (the electrical, mechanical robotics engineer) had no idea what it was either. His theory was to snip it and see what happend. Then again he has never own a plow either and its not a robot. Thanks for the help.

CIMG0901.JPG

CIMG0902.JPG

3. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

i am pretty sure that is the solenoid for activating the power to your plow. Mine looks a little different but along the same lines....

4. Ctll

Ctll Member
    from midwest

its is a starter relay might be used to power the pump for your plow or some other high amp draw elec add on(winch, elec salt spreader, dump bed hydro pump ect). most of the time they are wired one big wire directly from battery, other big wire to add on, small wires are used for ground and switch(on/off). needed to be bolted down so it does not arc to ground accidently. Hope that helps

5. scitown

scitown Senior Member

It is wired to a battery that was dead as a wet fart last winter. The plow worked fine without it (running off the live main battery). Can't find a switch that it would be running to. Two batteries not run parallel.

6. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Oh and I propped it up for the last picture usually it just hangs and bumps sheat medal.

7. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

It looks to me to be a whim wham for a gooses bridle!!!:jester::jester:

8. Ctll

Ctll Member
    from midwest

could be wired as a battery isolator, like in an RV, charges or use only when "turned on". Can you follow the larger wire from both of the lager terminals?

9. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Its at the shop and Im on my couch drinking whiskey so I can't try to follow it right now. Even before the drinking Im sure I couldn't remember. I think you are on the right track though. I checked the codes last winter and it has the camper package so it could be for that. B&B said it could run 12 volt power to the trailer plug wich would run an in the bed camper. The part that gets me is that it is just hanging there and someone told me it was not chevy . The guy that wired my lightbar had no Idea either.

10. bassfishn1

bassfishn1 Member
    from ct.

i have that same thing on my truck, was running to a dead battery also, but changed the battery, and ran some driving lights to it, prolly has something to do with my factory installed dual battery set-up

11. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Think I may snip it and see what happends...

12. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

NO DON'T CUT ANY WIRES!

What I would do, is unbolt 1 wire at a time and follow where it goes. If you cut them and find out you need it for something, then you have to redo the ends where you cut them. I would atleast first follow where each wire goes before doing anything.

13. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

What ever it is for ...It is a crapy install or lazy installer....You don't let things like that just lay (hang ) like that...

14. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I tracked down the small wire that looks like it should go to a switch of some sortor a control wire. My friend and I found it thru the firewall and then it seems to disapear. If you think that is ugly you should see the wires once they leave that free hanging piece of crap.

15. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

otherwise you can pull it out of the fire wall, and see what it is. i would figure out what the bigger battery wires are for also. The truck does have a plow on it right now? And it works if the wires in the pic aren't connected? Could the truck possibly of had a EZ-Dumper in it, or something of that sort before you bought it?

16. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Looks like the relay I have in my truck for the plow. IIRC there is a small wire that goes from that to a 12 v source. Check to see if the small wire doesn't run over to the fuse box inside the cab.

17. 04red2500

04red2500 Member
    from MI

It is a battery isolator they well know for going out thats why you had a dead battery i just take the two big wires off and hook them together. We had one truck that popped two of them in one week and i got sick of replaceing them so we ran it direct

18. scitown

scitown Senior Member

This is what I ended up doing in the middle of a snowstorm. Problem solved. Battery now charges. I was running a snowman rear plow off of the second battery and it lasted two storms doing about 160 driveways without a charge (40 drives 4 times). Finally the battery died and I had to wire it direct to get the battery to charge. Worked great for the rest of the winter. I finally threw the isolater out. Just felt like I should do a follow up in case someone searches battery isolator and comes up with this. Thanks guys have a great summer.