1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is this vibration?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Cutting Edge Kid, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Cutting Edge Kid

Cutting Edge Kid Senior Member

Hi Guys,
    I haven't posted in a while but, I and used the search function for a while prior to asking this question. First, I have a '04 F250 SD, 5.4 V8, 4x4 with 13,480 miles on it with an 8ft. Boss Plow. I've had it since brand new and no modifications have been made to the truck aside from Lights and Seats, All Stock hardware. No accidents...Thank God. I had to say all of that to assist with my question:

Here is my problem: Whenever I apply the Brakes @ all speeds...There is an annoying vibration in the front end. I feel it in the brake pedal and under the seat. To rule out things I had the rotors cut and put new pads on it and still this same annoying vibration noise. Any suggestion on what it is? THANKS IN ADVANCE

2. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Hmmm. I'd say check front end alignment and have the ball-joints, tire-rod ends, bearings, etc. inspected.

We've seen a lot of ball-joint failures at low mileage in recent years with Ford, Chevy and Dodges.

Also, have tires checked for balance on a Road-Force balancer to rule out any problems there. It it all fails, think of your truck as a nice Shiahtsu massager and bring the wife along for the "good Vibrations" if she is a beach-boys fan.

3. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Can I ask why you already put new rotors and pads on a truck that only has 13000 + miles??? but have you rotated your tires lately? I found if I dont do mine every 10,000 miles that seems to be the problem.

4. Cutting Edge Kid

1st, You have my stomach hurting from laughing sooo hard at the later part of your response.
    I also had the tires rotated for the 2nd time at 12,000 miles. Thanks for the response.

5. Cutting Edge Kid

I had the rotors cut and that cost me $10 a piece. The pads did not kill me either. I also agree with your rotation schedule. I had them rotated for the 2nd time at 12,000. I get them done every 6,00o miles. I don't believe it's the tires or brakes but, I'm no expert, That's why I asked you guys. Thanks Again for the response.

6. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

You should not have had to put pads or cut the rotors at 13000 miles. I just put my first set of pads on my 06 at 56,000 miles and there was still life left on them. I also didnt replace or cut the rotors since they were almost brand new looking. Maybe I just got lucky or something is tearing your stuff up.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2007
  7. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I have to second the alignment suggestion. I had a truck at work that would shake on smooth roads at high way speeds and when you had to stop. Did brakes and nothing, took it to the dealer( still under warranty) they said it was tires. Took it to the tire shop thay said it wasn't tires but the whole front end was shot. Took it back to the dealer and told them the tires were good and the front end was bad again they said no. Finally I talked to my old neighbor ( retired head mechanic for the post office) described the problem and he said it needed an alignment with out questioning anything else. He said that if the tires are set perfectly straight they will fight each other. Tow in or tow out slightly will put pressure one way or the other to stop it. One trip to a real front end shop for an alignment and the problem was fixed. I am not saying that is your problem but since you have checked everything else it is worth a try!!! Good luck keep us posted!!!

8. cardnut

cardnut Junior Member
    from ga

could be a tire trying to seperate.. My tire guy completely missed my bad tire and it was doing what you describe.. The difference with mine is it was doing it about 70+ mph as well.... The tire look absolutely fine until he put it on the machine and it wobbled like drunk.... :dizzy:........NUT

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like its either an allinement or tire balance issue.

10. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

?

i know it's chasing parts but how are the shock's ,they help keep the tire's in contact with the road

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The key was you said you feel it in the brake pedal, does it pulsate?
    If it does, you need to have the run out checked on the rotors with a dial indicator.
    One of them may be warped causing the problem.
    They make the rotors so thin anymore that machining them takes them right to the limit of thickness. The thinner they are the most likely they will warp from the heat of braking.
    I would bet the right front is the likely suspect. Since it does the most work.

12. Cutting Edge Kid

Thanks to all who replied, I just replaced the rotors all the way around. I just said forget it!:gunsfiring: And the winner was: The Brakes! That fixed everything. I guess as most of you said, the rotors were warped even though they did not appear to be. I really appreciate all of the help. You guys are the greatest! Have a wonderful Snow Season and Happy Thanksgiving to all!:salute:

13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I figured it was a warped rotor.
    I am 5 for 5 on rotors this year. All 5 brake jobs I have done had toast rotors. My machine guy told me that they used to have 60 to 90 - 1/1000's of extra meat on them. Now it's 60-1/1000's extra meat and modern metal pads chew 30-1/1000's or more off by the time they are done. You need 30-1/1000's to machine them back to true.
    So your's may have even been machined thinner then spec's call for.
    Next time don't run the pads so thin and have them do a finish cut on the rotors.
    This cleans up the surface and does not take a lot off of them.