1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is this plow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by FFColburn, Jan 4, 2011.

1. FFColburn

FFColburn Junior Member

I'm looking at buying this plow truck and it has all Western controls but I'm not sure what the blade and A-Frame/ Push Frame are, I've never seen a Western of this style if that is what it is. I think its an old Boss Trip Edge. Does any one else know?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

0104111330d.jpg

0104111330c.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  2. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

looks like you have a western headgear and the plow is a fisher speedcast blade.

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The blade and A-frame are old Fisher stuff. The lower frame on the truck appears to be old Western as well as the pump, etc.

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

My thoughts as well.

5. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

Fisher blade

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Franken plow brand.

Western mount with Fisher blade...an old Fisher blade.

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I agree. Western truck side and fisher blade.....and get that cylinder hose behind the chain lift
    I have to say I like how the cylinders are protected from the bottom by the pivot beam. Great design.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

and that plow has not seen much maint in a loooooooong time. worn down trip edge big time and looks like you wouldnt even have any bolt hole left to install a new edge. prob have to replace the whole trip shoe. and also missin some springs.

and the right hose to ram looks almost or is broken off.

via the total # of possible trip springs its also a 7ft 6" or less plow. as 8ft -up got 4 trip springs. that boxed in a-frame stoped in the late 70's to early 80's.

9. FFColburn

FFColburn Junior Member

Ok I wasn't sure what the blade was but that helps me out greatly. I haven't bought the truck yet. If I do the blade needs alot of work there is a few small holes in it and the cutting edge needs replaced and a few other things. Has anyone ever used this type of blade, are they decent, I have always used Western?

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

well if that much is frankined up like the plow. i would hate to see the rest of the truck. :eek:

what do thay want ?

and that plow might be past its life span buy the time you patch or reskin it and brob replace the trip shoe. can you see and bolt holes to bolt on the new edge to the trip shoe ? the trip shoe is prob around 3-4 hundred bucks alone.

11. FFColburn

FFColburn Junior Member

The truck itself is in good shape, frame solid and body in decent shape for an 83' had it looked at by me and my buddy who is a mechanic by trade and has been plowing snow for 21 years now. I wasn't going to use this blade I have other Western Conventional blades to use, I just wasn't sure what this blade was. If I end up getting this truck I'm hoping to get it for 2100 out the door and then scrap most the blade or try to make a custom setup over time but not for this truck

12. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

definitely western pump and headgear.

13. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

That's Western head gear with a Fisher blade. FYI that blade is missing a spring and it badly needs a cutting edge and posibly a whole new trip edge.

14. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Its a FishEstern!

15. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

oooo it looks like its one of those rare disposable moldboards where you dont need a cutting edge?

16. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

that blade could be only a 6'6" or 7', i know the 6'6" only had 2 trip springs.
    there's atleast 4" worn off the trip edge, then the cutting edge should be bolted to that.

great old plows, tough as nails...... this one could be fixed, but if you've got other blades, just use them

lift looks to be an old western cable operated

17. PlowboyVT

PlowboyVT Member
    from VT

protected maybe... but it woud also wear the bottom of the cylinder off.

The mount is there for the third spring....but the spring is sprung.

18. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, there is a spot for a 3rd spring. It's a 7.5' blade.

19. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Definitely an old school WesterFish.

20. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

so there is,,,,,, with that short of a cutting edge, one spring would probably do it lol