1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is this noise?? Please help me out!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fastrunner2, Jan 28, 2003.

1. fastrunner2

fastrunner2 Junior Member
    from ILL

HI, i have a 99 Dodge ram 1 Ton dually,diesel, anyways, i have a 8.5 ft western on it and use it for plowing.. This last week I noticed that something just isnt quit right with the front end... something feels loose up there, kinda by the left front wheel.. Whenever i go over a bump you can feel it, there is some kind of slop in the joints or axle, i dont know, you can hear it bang around, and it sounds like its getting worse.. any ideas on what this might be?? I would really appreciate any help, i like to get stuff fixed right away before it breaks when im plowing then im really screwed!! thanks guys.

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

check your shocks, stick your head in the wheel well and look up towards the top mounting tower then have someone bounce the front of the truck up and down ....watch the shock rubber bushings for movement.
  3. allabout

allabout Member

Could be bad bushings at the upper/lower supension arms
  4. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Jack the truck up in that corner. Grab the top and bottom of the tire, and see if there is any play. If there is you probably need to replace the ball joints.
  5. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

stab link pins

make sure you check the sway bar link pins change alot of them for the clunk over bumps, one end looks like a little balljoint of course noway to grease them so they dry out get sloppy and make tons of noise over bumps.

also you really didnt say but if the noise feels like it is in your steering wheel you want to make sure you have the update intermet shaft goes from base of steering tube to steering gear box chrys has tsb's on all the things i have mentioned hope it helps

regards fred
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Most likely it's a worn track bar,or a steering shaft clunk.They are the two most common problems on the Rams.

To check the track bar,look under the truck,while someone cranks the wheel hard back and forth quickly,and if you see the frame end joint on the track bar moving,it is shot.While your in there,check everything else in the front end as well.

Don't replace the factory bar with an OEM part,it will wear out quickly again,as they use a plastic bushing.The aftermarket ones from Moog,etc,are much better but I find they aren't the right length,which throws the axle off centre.

There are several other options,like a lindstadt or DT which are permanent solutions,and very well priced.Due to forum guidelines I will not post them here.E-mail me if you want more info.