1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is this GMC worth?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Banksy, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/2603904676.html

Looks like a 1500 or could be a 2500 6 lug. 160k miles, 350, says torque converter slips in O/D. Says an eldery guy used to own it. Possible since it's not all red necked up like every other 1500 down here.

I was thinking $1500 tops. He says he might trade for my 1994 Camry and a small utility trailer. They are worth $1500-1700 together.

My Dodge with the 6 speed and crew cab is getting old to plow in, so it would be the back up truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

looks like a good work truck. If it runs and drives 4x4 works, its got to be at least worth 1,200. But if you have to start dumping all kinds of money into it, make sure you get it cheap!

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

It definably 6 lugs.

Before you buy. Call all transmission shops in your area for quote to rebuilt trans.

Or you can rebuilt yourself but check how much parts cost to rebuilt.

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Thanks. I really just want to trade for my Camry and the trailer I don't need. The Camry is no gem (cracked windshield, oil leaks, weak a/c, dead paint), but it's a good little car. I'd probably rebuild the tranny myself in the garage if that's what it needs. I've seen those trannys rebuilt on PowerBlock and it doesn't seem to bad I guess. Good project to cut my teeth on.

I've never been a GM guy, but these trucks are so freakin simple and easy to work on with parts everywhere. It could carry my 8' Fisher around a couple times per year with cranked t-bars and good ballast.

5. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

These trannies are pretty simple to do. But if you've never done one, do yourself a favor and get yourself a manual dedicated to 700R4/4L60 rebuilds and trouble shooting.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

No more returned emails or request for him to call. I hate craigslist.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

lol....................

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I spoke too soon. His email went to my spam this morning and iPhone doesn't tell you that there is spam, so I just now saw it. He doesn't sound interested in the car anymore, so I still offered the trailer and mentioned my shotgun that just sits in the closet. He will do $1800, but I'm closing on my rental property refinance next week and that's $5k out of pocket, so I'm up for a trade with a little cash only if needed.

9. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Those early 90's chevy trucks will hold a plow without cranking the t-bars. Even the 1500's. Back then a truck was a truck :nod:

10. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

They are great trucks. Just like anything used, be prepared to put money into it for little things here and there

11. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Just keep in mind that your probably looking at least at another $2500 give or take for a rebuilt tranny. Not to mention other things associated with a 15-20 year old truck.

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

He chose not to trade and offered it for $1800 but I wouldn't go more than $1000. I looked a similar truck (1988 chevy) today but it was beat. Heater core was bypassed, odometer broken, a/c broke, needed shocks, pretty bad oil leak, rusted cab corners and rockers. Shifted nice but at one point it fell on it's face while shifting for a second. Lots of dirt packed underneath. I think I'll keep trying to find something at the government surplus auctions. People just want so much for junk. I don't get it.

13. mossman381

Craigs list is full of people that think they have gold. Most of those vehicles don't get sold. When I was looking for a duramax the prices were all over the place. Some people were asking $20k for LB7's. I think one problem is that kelly blue book. That is not the actual value of vehicles anymore. Values have gone down, a lot. Bottom line is a truck is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

KBB is a ball park, but it's usually way high. If I need to sell something, I price it to sell and get rid of it. I know vehicles are money pits and terrible investments (investment and car is almost always an oxymoron), but I'm going to limit my loss if I can help it. I'm looking for a truck to fix up in the garage and plow with. I want a truck that is a good base to start from. I'd like to try some light body work, so I don't care if the paint is bad. Is it too much to ask that I know the actual miles or buy something for a good price that has not been hacked to death by some idiot who thinks he's a mechanic? It always amazes me what peoples definition of a repair is.

15. mossman381

Give yourself enough time and you can find anything. There are a lot of people that think a hack job is a repair. I will stick to fixing things right :)

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I put a wanted ad on CL with what I am looking for. Maybe it will be easier for sellers to find me instead.

17. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

18. mossman381

I have plowed with 2 chevy 5 speeds. And it can be done, but I will never never never buy another manual trans chevy truck. If you are going to buy one get an auto.

19. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Reg cab, 4x4, auto in a 3/4 or 1 ton are rare around here and impossible to find. Most are 4x2's. This is what I want except the manual tranny. We only plow parking lots, so it's somewhat tolerable.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  20. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I know what you mean about people on CL thinking their stuff is gold. A guy was selling a 92 Cavalier Z24 with 40,809 miles on it. I went and looked at it and it was a very nice car that looked practically new but the guy wanted $4,200 and would only come down to $4,000. The engine did have an oil leak on top of the intake and dripping from the frame underneath. KBB listed the value at $3,200 with NADA and Edmunds at $2,300 and $1,200 respectively. The owner basically hung up on me when I said that the $4,000 he came down to was still too high. I doubt he will ever sell it for what he wants out of it.

Wayne