1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Is The Usual Snfall Rate

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DESTEFANO3782, Dec 30, 2005.

1. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

This Is My First Year In Northern Mass As An Independant Snow Contractor. I Have Worked For A Sub For A Few Years And Never Actually Paid Attention To The Storms And How They Came And Went, I Just Showed Up When He Called And Plowed. Now I Have Alot More Headaches And Am Wondering How Much Snow Usual Falls Per Hour In Most Cases In This Area????????? And What Are The Chances Of Getting Another 30 Inch Storm This Year Like Last Year
  2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats hard to describe numerically, way too much variation. Generally an inch an hour is considered somewhat heavy snow. I have seen as much as 4" an hour though. This is no where near scientific but id say generally for a "normal snowfall" (if there is such a thing) expect an inch every two hours. Still, thats way too general, it depends on temperatures which determine ratios of liquid precip to frozen precip.

Your question is near worthless to be totally honest.

Your really asking "how should I decide when to start plowing and how many times should I plow". My suggestion is to determine a trigger depth, 2", 3" maybe even as low as 1" for some commercial accounts. When snow hits roughly that depth go out and plow. For snow depth on roads I generally trust my eyes but a ruler works too. Next you need to take into account the forecast; how much snow is expected. If its only going to be 3" or so think about waiting until the snow stops to start plowing. If its going to be over 4-12"+ think about plowing more then once during the storm. Depends on your equipment, customer expectations and personal preference. Then its a good idea to take a look at the weather radar. I like Intellicast's radar the best. http://www.intellicast.com/IcastPag...odgrp=RadarImagery&product=Radar&prodnav=none It shows the rain snow line better then any radar I have seen and it is the best quality that I have seen. Click on your state to get a closer look and then you can get even closer after that by clicking on "zoom in" at the top of the radar picture. From the radar you can get a rough idea how much longer it will snow for, and whats headed toward your area.

As for the likelyhood of getting another 30" storm, how would any of us know any better then you?

Id say a foot or more a few times is a good bet for you. As far as 20"+, its winter, it does happen from time to time but not every winter.

If you want long term forecasts, you came to the wrong place but Ill take a shot, most of the rest of the winter is looking alot like the beginning of december around here if that helps any.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  3. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

Thanks For The Help.