1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the scariest health-related issue you have had to deal with during an event?

Discussion in 'Snow Management Safety & Training' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

When you are out in the elements performing snow removal, ice management, spreading salt, etc., what is the scariest health-related issue you have had to deal with during an event?

And, how did you deal with it?

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

From a mental health standpoint I think most guys experience stress and anxiety before a storm. Even folks who have been doing this for decades still get nervous. The stress does seem to fade a little bit as the years pass by.

Usually with beer :drinkup:

3. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Ha Ha Ha X 2 . Thumbs Up

4. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Mostly back issues and losing my mind past the 12-14 hour straight mark. All of which is cured by ibuprofen, coffee, and getting out of the truck to run some laps after a few hours.

5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

My personal health concerns are always stress and dehydration.

Try to deal with the stress by always planning. Trying to expect the unexpected and have plans in place to deal with it.

As far as dehydration I try to stock up with cases of water ahead of time so I don't have to ever make any pitstops. Stay away from soda, caffeine is only a temporary help, the crash is worse than being tired.

6. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

For me it would be a slip & fall by an employee, luckily it was nothing more then a bruise or two, for me it would be sore back & once I slipped and tweeked my knee & groin. All I can do & tell the guys to be carefull, watch your step & don't race around. I've also notified customers that they need to salt so we can safely shovel, since they were doing the salting.

7. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Honestly, the only real "issue" I had was having to sprint through knee high snow to hide behind an electrical box to um.....well......to put my back against a building. Yeah.......that's it.

8. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I hoard napkins in the glove box for that exact reason. Lost too many good pairs of extra socks over the years.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Problem I have,I just get fat plowing.

10. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

ok, other than those "issues" :laughing: any other real health issues that you've had to deal with?

11. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Chronic migraine and TIA. Luckily TIA did not occur during snow event but the headaches can be a real pain if I don't pay attention to the warning signs. Have to carry EpiPens. Been TIA free for almost two years and got migraines down to 5-6 a year, much better than 5-6 a week.

Been lucky not to have to hide behind any electrical boxes. Thumbs Up

12. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

At least he didnt get zapped while behind that electrical box :)

13. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

Did a Looney Toons half backflip where my feet flew out from underneath me so that I landed on the back of my head. Woke up lying on some black ice with a bucket of sidewalk salt beside me. I was disoriented and had a big knot so ended up in the ER that night, just to be on the safe side.

Wife was pretty nervous as a guy in town had fallen the week before, had similar symptoms, and decided to sleep it off, but never woke up.

14. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Never had a real health issue other than fatigue. Lucky in that regard.

15. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

Mine is, forgetting to take my, Kidney Transplant Med’s every 12 hours so that I stay alive. Hell I have to plow to pay for them.

16. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

A couple years ago after plowing for hours with our 4430 john deere tractor, I stepped across from the cab to the front tire to fuel it up and when I stepped back to the cab, yup I missed. Bounced off both steps with my ribs and back. I think it was a combination of being tired, fatigue in the legs and poor vision.

17. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

1986 had an appendix rupture during an Event.....Plowed a couple of more hours than drove myself to the ER.....:drinkup:

Broken Collar Bone last Year.....After the event went to the urgent care and they loaded me up with some pills that made it all better.....:laughing:

18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Hurt my pride once. We were all kind of making fun of some of 'the big company's" operators plowing the shopping mall next door. I went to climb down off the skid steer trailer and missed a step. Flat on my back looking up at the night sky. Of course the other guys laughed, hell I would've too if it'd been someone else.

19. RSE

RSE Member

Backing out into a busy street, neck turned all the way to the right like an owl scouting for on coming cars when, CRASH, truck hits the curb and bounces high into the air. I fell back into the seat straight down with my neck turned at full speed. Thought I was paralyzed....kept backing up to the driveway across the street and spent 20 mins uncracking my spine. I actually saw spots flashing so much pain.

20. accentlawn

accentlawn Member

Years ago while working for a company I had a man on my crew have a seizure. Luckily the site's security was trained for medical emergencies. Now I ask if people are epileptic. Lack of sleep and not eating at certain intervals can trigger a seizure.