1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what is the salt weight

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by R.J.S. SNOWPLOW, Dec 22, 2010.

1. R.J.S. SNOWPLOW

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

okay guys i think i am not getting what i am paying for i am new to vboxes and buying in bulk
    i have a buyer saltdogg sphe 0750 it holds 3/4 of a yard filled i think would hold a whole yard with salt over the top of it....

my questions
    1. what is the weight of a yard?
    2. what is the weight of a ton? 2000lbs or 2100lbs

2. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, a ton is 2,000 pounsds. There is no arguing that.

The weight of a yard of salt will vary. Depends on the texture - coarse or fine - and the moisture content.

I presume you have been buying bulk by the ton and it's not filling the box like you would expect? Bulk is often fine, and damp.

4. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

According to Buyers, your spreader holds 6/10 of a yard struck (aka: level). You might get a yard in it, but it will probably be a humped up mess.

As mentioned, in the US, a ton is 2000#, and a yard is commonly 2150/2160, or 79-80# per cubic foot.

If you're not buying bulk and loading yourself, you should only be buying per load by the yard, unless they have a scale.

5. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

the buyers install manual says it is 2230 lbs per yd

6. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

The manual is wrong, unless they padded it to keep the gross overloading to a minimum.

80#/cu ft, standard.

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic