1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the safest thing to use for ballast?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by coolgreen, Nov 7, 2008.

1. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

I use sand bags, but I'm concerned about them becoming projectiles in the case of an accident.

Has anyone come up with a way of securing weight to the bed of the truck?

I saw a post on here where someone was using cement blocks. They got into a crash and one of the blocks flew through the back window, then the windshield. I've been wary of those sand bags in the back ever since.

There has to be a safer way.
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Sand bags are the safest. Build yourself a brace in the back of the bed and secure them down. I use a pallet adn a couple of 2x4 on each end that hug the wheel wells and set the salt on the pallet and bags tuck right in between the pallet and tailgate. when i first started doing it I was not salting as much so i had to put more back there. Now with the weight of the tailgate spreader and the snow blower and salt I put a couple of sand bags back there still. just so when I get low on salt from being out for a long time. I still have good traction. I can get you a pic of the it today....
  3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

i would go with the 2x4 brace's my self ,but if you dont mind spending the coin boss make's a nick one BALLAST RETAINER KIT
    Use the ballast retainer kit to hold sandbags securely in place in order to provide enhanced vehicle performance.

4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I use concrete blocks (solid manhole blocks 70lbs apiece)..I made a(treated) wood frame 2X6 or 8..I ran one board in front of the wheel well to in side of truck bed & one in back ran one on each in side wheel well front to back length wise screwed together depending on the block size you can run one a cross the wheel wells my blocks are16X8X8 put a piece of rubber mat under it ...I have no problem with them sliding...The boards a cross the front & back wheel wells help hold it in place....By the way use the pink blocks they are water proof...I can get 5-700 lbs. of weight.in it..... No bags to get wet & freeze...
  5. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

You could always pick up a back rack to prevent anything going through the window
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I put a bed mat down and none of my sand bags or ice melt have ever slid around. The rubber keeps most everything from sliding.
  7. iowaplowboy

iowaplowboy Member
    from Iowa

I use #70 sand bags. I drive like a bit psychotic, and have never had a problem. But if you're worried, drill a hole on each side of the bed (in the floor) and put in a couple of rings and attach a ratchet strap across the bags. A couple of half inch holes would be big enough, and if you keep them out of the main beams you have a couple of extra drain holes that will keep your bed from rusting in the warm season.
  8. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

You could always troll a local bar at closing time and grab up a few fat chicks with out much problem!!!:D:D
  9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

dont you guys just use 50lb bags of salt? you are out plowing why not have something you can use if you need to?
  10. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

sand bags are probably your best bet but anything in the back area is a projectile when you get in accident...
  11. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

the cement blocks i frame and bolt together with threaded rod. Brace it against the sides of the bed and run 2x6 toward the front of the bed. They arent going anywere unless i flip the truck. And then the whole thing would come out in one piece (all threaded)
  12. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

I use cast iron grates off of like storm sewers. lots of wood hold them in place. I got hit by a fully loaded 3 ton dump last winter. They jumpd tore a whole in my bed then slid out of the truck. i have no idea i dont recall to much of it. I dont recall blacking out but ill tell you it wasnt fun pick up 500 lbs of grates off the road in a snow storm. But once i got my truck back it was pretty much the same thing and they didnt move all winter. So needless to say it would take alot alot of unsafe driving to move these and kill some one.
  13. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Put a truck tool box back there and fill it up with sand or salt. Fasten the box to the bed rails or the bed of the truck.
  14. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

this is something i actually thought of but I WOULDNT DO. The center of gravity is higher, plus the bed rails integrity isnt really that strong to but holding that much weight. I would be afraid of bowing in the bed .
  15. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

A pile of sand in the back would probably be the safest. But if you are scared with sand bags get a back rack that covers your whole rear window.