1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the point of keeping trucks onsite?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow man Foster, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Ok well i've been trying to figure this out!
    At a local nursing home this guy has one skid steer with pusher
    a big box truck and 2 pickups

Is he trying to advertise or what...

May i state this guys shop is literally 10 min. away!

2. He might not have room at the shop during winter.

3. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

They may be paying

The Nursing home may be paying to have the equipment on site. That is not uncommon.

4. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

I do 2 sites right next door to eachother. I dont like my trucks on the road dealing with drivers.

Being on site, I dont have to worry as much about road conditions, guys crashing. Sometimes a 10 minute ride in nice weather is an hour in a snowstorm.

Years ago, my shop was 5 minutes from the job. Involved crossing a toll bridge. Accident closed the bridge for about 8 hours. The only other way there was usually an hour ride in decent weather.
    We went to plow the complex at 6 am. It was noon before we could get our first truck there.

After that, I keep everything possible on site.

5. Plow man Foster

For what?
    So they can use it?
    I wouldnt be comfortable letting someone who i didnt know drive my truck! My workers are bad enough!

6. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

no

Some clients pay a retainer (some don't) to have equipment on site to guarantee the equipment is set aside for their property. The contractor simply sends the operator to their site for the event.

Look around and I am confident you will see "pushers" sitting on sites as well. Maybe not at the nursing home but on other sites. Some also have sheds for deicing material that is stored on site.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe he took the insurance of the trucks and keeps them there. Or maybe he has a guy who drives his personal car there and works that lot.

8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We leave a box truck onsite, my shovel crew reports & starts there route from there. Other wise it is 20 minutes to my shop on good roads. Id rather have it there.

9. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

My oldboss does the IRS building in philly. He trailers his 5 pick-ups up there and two loaders every fall and then trailers them back in the spring. With the 5 pick ups he has no insurance, No tags , Last time inspected was in like 1995 lol. They are beater plow trucks. Thats all he uses them for.

10. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I see alot of guys do this and pull the tags, no insurance, reg, or anything. It's actually not legit to do, as a parking lot is not considered a construction site. Something happens, and you have problems.

11. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

it depends on what equipment you have, and distance from the shop. Obviously equipment like loaders and stuff, usually will stay on site, but maybe not if the shop is just down the road. There are some around here that drive site to site, then back to the shop. If its the only site its going to, why bring it back and forth and have a bunch of people reporting to the shop just to go to one site.

I know guys with big cdl trucks, park those on site, and have people who may not have a cdl run it. I can drive a CDL, have my permit and have driven a dump before, but I cant drive it on the road without someone with me. So ive gone to the site before and plowed there, then we just park it there.

biggest thing though, is the convenience factor, everyone shows up to the site to work, and there is no wasted travel time. Get there work, done home. Not get there, drive, work, drive, then home

12. LB1234

LB1234 Member

i think the question should be more along the lines of "why wouldn't you leave your equipment on site" I wish I could do that...the benefits far outweigh the cons.

13. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I wish I could leave my truck on site but I'm afraid of it getting broken into. Beater plow truck may be the way to go.
    Pete

14. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

I got a oldtractor that has lost 4th gear, I park it about 1/8 mile away from work. 3rd gear is actually too slow for the road but ideal speed for the parking lots when it is equipped with a 12 foot pusher.

15. lawnkale

lawnkale Senior Member
    from Indiana

i pay my employees $30.00 to $60 an hour to operate my equipment. They do not get paid for drive time. It saves me 500 to 600 a snowfall. It also makes the customer feel that they are number 1 in line when it comes to a blizzard. I also make the customer pay to keep the block heater plug in all winter.....A win win for me.

16. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

We keep loaders/skids on site at many of our locations. Office complexes, homeowners assn's, etc... It's a benefit to them. They know the equipment is dedicated to their sites and it saves a lot of time rather than having to haul machines around each time it snows.

17. motodad

motodad Member
    from midwest

Boy sounds like this is realy buging you. With 271 posts here on plowsite it seems like you would already know the answer to your question.

18. Plow man Foster

:laughing::laughing: ahahahahhahahahaa! i dont know!

19. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Let's go off topic for this. Why not pay them,they are working for you.

20. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

I'd also like you to explain this. You don't pay your employees for drivetime to get to work or for drivetime between accounts??