1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the perferred engine oil?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 98GMCSIERRA, Nov 21, 2009.

1. 98GMCSIERRA

98GMCSIERRA Junior Member

Hey guys, i'm somewhat new to Plowsite but i've been reading up for a couple weeks now. I was just wondering what you guys used for motor oil in your truck? Anyone swear by synthetic or a certain brand? Some people say it doesn't matter and others will only use one certain product. Any opinions?

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Amsoil..............

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Same here, not cheap but after a 100K miles on my plow truck it still runs like new, oil stays pretty clean even when its time to change the oil.

Mike

4. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

I always use Mobil 1. Call me lazy but as long as my 100,000 warranty is in effect I have the stealer do it. After that I will do it myself. I am halfway there.

And I use the DIC.

5. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Mobil Clean 5000 5w-30 for me. I change it every 2500-3000.

6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

If you get an Amsoil Commercial Account, it costs the same of less then Mobil 1

7. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

Amsoil in every piece of equipment I manage at the resort as well as at home except during break in to seat the rings.

8. 98GMCSIERRA

I was thinking of switching to Amsoil from Mobil Clean 5000 but just wanted to see if there was anything out there that people preferred more than that. Sounds like that stuff is what I want to be using. Thanks guys.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Just switched the truck to Amsoil. Will be switching the whole fleet over.

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Amsoil in the dmax, Mobil1 syn in the 97

11. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Mobil 1 in the truck and car, Truck has 100,000 on it and runs like i bought it yesterday.

12. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I use Mobil 1 5w-30 in the truck. Change the oil every 10k, filter every 5k and top it off as needed. 125k on the clock and no issues.

I think once you move to a good quality synthetic oil, continuing up the ladder to real premium oils like Amsoil is the point of diminishing returns. Any number of people here have had trucks got well over 200,000 miles on original motors using regula non-synthetic oils and doing the change every 3k...the key from my prespective is less of whihc oil you're using, as making sure you use a decent quality filter, do full filter/oil changes at the correct intervals for your application and keep the oil pan properly filled.

For those that get AMSoil at the mobil price, thats terrific...but in my opinion, this is one of those cases where the premium product isn't worth the extra money and the mid range products are more than adequate.

Just my $0.02.

13. 98GMCSIERRA

I am definitely going to go with a synthetic because of the high mileage of my truck (157,000) but maybe still deciding between the availibilty of mobil 1 vs. Amsoil and it's reputation but being very expensive and always having to order

14. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

May be B&B will chime in on this question ..... I too am a little confused on what to use on an older truck with higher miles 01 2500 HD 131,000 mi.
    Synthetic or regular oil...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My Napa stocks Amsoil.

16. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I used to be a big fan of synthetics and Mobil 1 in particular, but after doing multiple oil analysis on the engine in my 98 K1500 with the 5.7L, I switched back to conventional. My wear values were not where they should have been, especially my lead readings and the recommendation from Blackstone Labs was to keep changing my oil at 3,000 miles. I ran the Mobil 1 for about 40,000 miles before switching back to conventional. My engine was also noisier with the Mobil 1 and quieted down with the conventional oil.

I decided I wasn't getting my money's worth and switch to Chevron Supreme conventional. My wear metals went down and Blackstone Labs said that I could start extending my oil changes. I later switched to Havoline conventional when Chevron became impossible to find. I currently use Valvoline conventional since Walmart quit carrying Havoline and its harder to find but I like Havoline better so I may have to find someone who carries it. I have not done oil analysis in quite awhile so I don't know how the Valvoline is doing but I think it may have some synthetic in it because the engines in all of my vehicles are noisier with it.

Wayne

17. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I run Amsoil in everything, front to back. I was changing oil every 5k but it starts to get spendy. So now I'm going 8k and 10-12k in the Freight(28qts). The only thing I don't like about going longer on oil changes is you still have to remember to grease it between oil changes.

18. vinny69

vinny69 Junior Member
    from canada

How do you change the oil every 10,000 and the filter every 5,000,how is that posible?????

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Unscrew the filter. Put on new filter. Top off oil. Done.

20. 98GMCSIERRA

70Monte
    I am running the same motor as you in my truck. What kind of mileage do you have it on and if it is high, are you running conventional high mileage or just regular conventional. The high mileage stuff seems to me like its probably no different from regular conventional. You also brought up an interesting point about not liking synthetics in that motor. I'll definitely have to take that into consideration.