1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the normal amount of power usage for a Western Pro-Plow 7.5?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ConnorExum, Jan 8, 2010.

1. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I have a Western Pro-Plow 7.5 ( I think it is used and came with no manuals but judging from the size of the plow I would say it fits this description). I also have a problem, when I raise or angle the blade I see what I would call an extreme amount of power loss on my battery meter. In fact the Battery warning light goes. The truck has a single battery and up until a week ago the truck didn't show any power loss signs. The truck seems to handle the lowering plow better with only drop in voltage to say 10-12v where as with raising or angling it is down 8-9v. Can anyone shine some light on this issue.

thanks

connor

2. Rumble

Rumble Member

I had the same problem last storm. My voltage would drop to 8-9 when raising the plow. I took it into the shop they told me to check all the grounds in my system. I did this and it still did not help. It turned out that my alternator was shot. Installed a new one now my voltage is 13-14 at idle and when I raise the plow drops to 11-12 volts. Maybe have your alternator checked out.

3. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I'm thinking the alternator too, or, perhaps the battery is going.

4. cowboyupgmc

cowboyupgmc Junior Member
    from utah

I have the same problem.... But... I just replaced the alternator with a higher output one, but you can still see the meter drop every time you hit the controller... especially to raise... any ideas?

5. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Dual batteries...

6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Keep in mind the motor on the plow pulls between 150-170 amps..I was say if the motor pulls more than 170, you might have a problem....

Make sure all your connections are clean. Epically the grounds to the battery and to the motor....

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  7. twinman326

8. cowboyupgmc

from utah

ok ill try that.. (cleaning connections) on a side note im having a problem with it being slow to raise... i just flushed and added new fluid... the side to side sped up but not the raise... is there an adjustment? i havent been able to find the thread to read that... thank you

9. twinman326

Before you add nice clean fluid, did you clean the filter and also clean the inside the housing out?

Did you disconnect the pressure lines from both cylinders (angles right and left), and swing (hopefully you have a jack or a 2x4 underneath the blade) the plow all the way to the left pushing the old fluid out and the same to the right??

You also need to do the when you add new fluid to get the air out of the system..Then recheck the fluid befor you put it in the raise position !!!

10. cowboyupgmc

from utah

hey all.... thanks for the advice... cleaned the filter and everything but to no avail.... The boss ended up having me take it to the dealer and a NEW PUMP later everything works great! according to their tech... one of the first things to notice at the beginning of pump failure, is inadequate lifting... side to side will work but real slow on the up/down.... Anyways thanks again!