1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the most manuverable 1 ton?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chtucker, Nov 15, 2002.

1. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

What truck has the tightest turning radius?

Howard

2. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

F-350 regular cab gets my vote.

3. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

We have 3 F350 Diesels and Chevy and a 1992 Dodge! Fords are my favorite overall but the 92 Dodge will out turn ALL of our Chevy's and Fords! That the only reason for keeping the old girl!

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, I don't know what is the tightest but I know what isn't - '96 Chevy 3500 DRW:( . Takes a Home Depot parking lot to turn around.

5. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Dodge, hands down.

6. TMC

TMC Junior Member
    from CT

Tighest turning radius

According to Edmunds.com - 2003 model, 1 ton regular cab 4wd pickups:
    Chevy: Turning Circle: 45 ft
    Dodge: Turning Circle: 48.9 ft
    Ford: Turning Circle: 50.7 ft

Eariler models may be different. Sure do wish one of the big three would make a shortbed 1 ton for tight plowing.

7. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

yes

A regular cab shortbed 1 ton would be a plowing machine!

8. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

How about building a 1 ton shortbox? My plow truck is a '75 Dodge 3/4 ton shortbox. Of course Dodge never built them like that, doesn't mean you can't have one. Mine has 3/4 springs, dana 44hd up front with a dana 60 out back. 440/4 speed/part time 203. Thing turns on a dime, fits anywhere. Tough as nails.

Of course it isn't as flashy as a new truck, but it's paid for. And if it gets a few scratches who cares.

9. Grant

Grant Member

Dodge and International DID make short wheelbase 3/4 ton 4x4's in the 60's and early 70's. That was thier plow package back then. My friend still has his 73 Binder he bought new, 345, (gas hog), 4 sp, ps, pb, 9.00-16 tires, factory installed 8' Meyer plow. Was a great parking lot truck. It has been resting in a barn for the last couple years, his son wants to restore it. There was a swb Dodge around here a few years ago, but the rust demons carted it off!

10. TMC

TMC Junior Member
    from CT

I suppose you could buy a 2 or 3 year old 1 ton regular cab, cut about 18" out of the frame and drop on a short box. What do you suppose that would cost?

11. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

Converting a newer 1 ton to a shortbox would be awful spendy. Why not find a 25 year old 1/2 ton shortbox with solid axles and leaf springs. Swap springs and axles, voila! a 1 ton shortbox.

Cost is subjective to where you live, what shape the truck you find is in, etc... But 5k or less versus 35k + for a new one.

12. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I know the Dodge up to 02 wil turn inside all of them by a long shot,the 03's use an American axle now,so they dont turn quite as tight as the Dana 60 did,My 2000 Ram qcab short box turns tighter than a 2001 Chevy 1500 reg cab short box.

13. Maverick

Maverick Senior Member

My 01' Chevy dually turns circles around the SD's in our group. Mine turns pretty sharp.