1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the metal thickness of the moldboard?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Lt CHEG, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Lt CHEG

Lt CHEG Junior Member
    from NY

I just picked up a work truck at a great price. In addition to being good for a work truck it also has a Western unimount 8 foot plow. It's a 1997 F350 XL regular cab Powerstroke whose undercarriage is in excellent condition and has recently had some body panels replaced. The plow functions great, however it's got some rust issues. I believe that this was someone's driveway plow as it looks to be in excellent shape except for one rust hole near the top portion of the moldboard, about where the Western sticker would go. The cylinders all look great and even the frame itself looks good, I just think the plow sat outside too much with too little use.

So for the point of my question. I would like to blast the moldboard and clean up the minor corrosion on the frame. I would like to weld a small patch onto the moldboard where the one small hole is and then paint everything. I don't expect it to look factory new, but I think with the corrosion cleaned up and a couple coats of Western rattle can red and a little buffing I can get it looking downright respectable. So what thickness metal would be appropriate for a small patch on the moldboard? The hole is probably about 2" x 3" in size. It's on a pretty flat section of the moldboard too so it should be a pretty easy patch job. Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

12 gageThumbs Up

3. Lt CHEG

Lt CHEG Junior Member
    from NY

Thank you very much.

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

8ft would have to be a pro, so it would be 11ga. It has a shock on the back, in addition to 3 or 4 springs, right?

5. Lt CHEG

Lt CHEG Junior Member
    from NY

It does have a shock on the back of the plow. I can't remember if it is 3 or 4 springs, but it definitely has a shock. It looks like 11 gauge it is. Thanks

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

sure thing.... yea, they changed from 3 springs to 4 at the same time they updated the a-frame and quadrant, but the blade itself stayed the same.

7. Lt CHEG

Lt CHEG Junior Member
    from NY

It sounds like I've got a pretty nice plow setup then. It may not be as new as the ultramount, but when I was looking at new plows a few years ago, I wasn't looking at pro level plows, so it sounds like I got a heavier duty plow than I would have otherwise purchased. I guess that's a pleasant surprise.

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yep! that's always a good surprise.