1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the MAX number of driveways one truck can handle?!?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rppaving, Sep 24, 2013.

1. rppaving

rppaving Junior Member
    from WNY

Whats up everyone,

last year was my first year plowing and i had approx. 22-25 (all driveways, nothing too big) contracts that were done with my one truck, 2001 F-350 single cab 7.3 diesel with an 8' Fisher straight blade....

This year i wanna go big and get AT LEAST 50 residentials and a few commericials as well... What I was wondering is waht is the max number of driveways one truck can handle in a night/day...

I know one truck "could" plow 100 straight driveways but that would take a day and you have alott of angry customers.

So what is the max amount, figuring in some commercial lots as well, just trying to figure it out because Im thinking ill have to buy another truck this year!!

(hopefully one with a Boss V Thumbs Up Thumbs Up )
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you got lucky last year. What do you have for a backup truck first?
  3. rppaving

rppaving Junior Member
    from WNY

Well I did quite a bit of advertising...i was actually expecting more to be honest

I dont have a back up truck, thats why im wondering if i should buy another one
  4. grandview

Meant more on the lucky side of no breakdowns
  5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

reputation is everything, so how ever many you do make sure you can handle them no matter what. Heavy snow amounts, break downs can kill your reputation if you cant deal with them, even though they not your fault & outta your control. Heck even a few snow blowers or shovels & extra sets of hands could be part of your back up plan as long as they have a way to get there
  6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

breakdowns will happen. get a backup truck or some reliable guys ready to go and service your customers in the event you break down.

back to your original question - you shouldn't be asking "whats the maximum number of driveways I should have for one truck?" you should be asking "how much is the maximum amount of time I should plan on a one-truck route taking me?"

for example, i have 50 driveways and they take me 6 hours to service for the average storm - thats cus my route is super tight. another guy may be able to only service 20 driveways in 6 hours cus they are 5 miles apart from each other.

if your route stretches much more past 6 hours per truck, your are pushing it. i find 6 hours to be just about right. snow stops at midnight, the last drive is done by 6am. snow stops at 6am, the last drive is done by noon.

i alternate my route every other storm. the drive done first during one storm, is done last the following storm. it's not perfect, but my customers understand that they cannot all be the first on the list.

so anyway, my advice is to think in terms of total time to service a route. get a tighter route, do more in the same time - thereby increasing your hourly pay.
  7. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

there is no right answer to this question. people can try and answer it but there are so many variables that i wont even get into. do however many you can while still providing the service you promise

TJSNOW Senior Member

How long did it take you to do those 20-25 driveways???...That should give you an idea how long it would take to plow 50-60 driveways....Pretty simple math...
    Target areas where you can get as many driveways as possible in a single area...
    Also may I suggest..Use the search button on here and do some reading...Knowledge is power.....Goodluck this Winter...:salute:
  9. grandview

For some guys it depends,seasonal guys won't take as many on knowing they will get a set amount per season.Per plow guys might take a lot more because they're figuring people will only get charged when they show up so they try and overbook,
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I know guys that drive black fords have at least another ford for backup.

I guess the amount of driveways depends on the size of the commercial lots.

Some guys plow places that open late so that also allows them to handle more work.

It's been so long since I had only one truck it would probably scare me if that's all I had.
  11. cat10

cat10 Senior Member

i had to take care of 30 driveways last winter and i felt that was to manny to keep up during a big storm i found my self rushing through them
  12. grandview

What you talken bout willis
  13. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Exactly right!!

What I consider a driveway here may be considered a long road by others. And vice versa.

Take what you did for driveways last year and calculate based on how long those took you. Easy as pie.
  14. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I plowed about 48 driveways. Had a certain group that i hit every 3 inches and others i rotated out every 5 or 6 inches.
  15. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Front plow, rear plow? Driveway size, distance between, Fruck factor (degree of hardness on some driveways). Any shoveling/walks needed at any customers.

Distance is a biggie, when your driving your not plowing.