1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the ideal truck for sanding small lots

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by stevejfromRI, Sep 9, 2011.

1. First of all, Hi to all and i have enjoyed reading some of the great questions and responses you have all given.

I run a F-250SD with an 8' plow and carry a Salt Dogg spreader in the rear, its not an ideal situation and i cant fully load the spreader because of weight concerns. We have other medium duty trucks, but ultimately would like one workhorse truck to handle all of the sanding on our commercial accounts. All of the commercials are 50-150 car lots and we have no real need for a large OTR plow truck. I have been looking for a small dump truck or flatbed but I am wondering what your opinions were.

Sander is an 8' Buyers Salt dogg 1yard cap.
  2. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

i run a 2 yard salt dog in a short bed f-250 SD and it works great...but when the spreader is full it really squats the truck. just unload the spreader quickly. also i dont plow with the salter all the way fullmaybe half full. hope that helps you out a little bit. OR you could upgrade to heavier springs for ALOT less than another truck and setup costs.
    Hope that helps you out. good luck and welcome to this awesome sit!!
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Pickup a scraper truck and make a flat bed out of it. Doesn't even need to be a 4x4
  4. landscapemike2

landscapemike2 Junior Member
    from 62269

flat bed isuzu npr will cut time in half
  5. Thank you all for the input, My present 250 has the helper springs on it, which works great the truck sits just fine under load. I worry about the stress on the truck and drivetrain, its not made to carry a ton and a half.

I am looking into a few trucks that could possibly do the job now. Found a f-350 stake body, and a 350 dump.
  6. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

As long as its ALWAYS filled with salt! I had one and Without salt it wouldnt even make it up the slightest hills "safely" but loaded with salt it did pretty well! mine was a 2wd i even had a boss poly sport on it. worked well in small snowstorms...