1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the going pay rate for a skid steer operator?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elitelawnteam1, Jan 23, 2014.

1. elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1 Senior Member

I was a subcontractor plowing for a guy for the first half of this season, making $60/hr. Then my truck started having problems, so I started plowing for him as an employee in his skidsteer (which is open cab btw, and no heat). I thought id be making at least $20-$25/hr but he tells me today I'm getting $15/hr. That doesn't sound right to me. Can someone clue me in on what you guys pay for an employee skid operator?

2. fozzy

fozzy Member

Open cab? WTF it's winter! QUIT.

3. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

from what i know, equipment guys usually get like 30-35 an hour..

4. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

open cab too, ouch. ive done it, not fun at all..

I believe our sidewalk guys get paid more than 15 an hour.

5. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

Around here skid operators get paid anywhere from 30-50 an hour depending on the company. and on top of that in an open cab? I would be asking atleast 40 an hour!

6. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

Around here most guys are paying $15-$25 so you're definitely on the low end - this is all enclosed heated cab.

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I'm in Midwest to I pay 12 per hour+benefits since my guy is a employee. Thats what he makes everyday Summer or winter doesn't matter.
    not getting Benefits Then I think my guy would be at 15-18 per hour

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I know that if 1 of my subs trucks broke down, they would get the thing fixed ASAP! I cant afford to have subs that don't have the ability (or finances) to keep their equipment running.

Sounds like the guy may be doing you a favor?

$15/hr does sound low though.

9. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Who was running it before? It sounds like he created a job for you if it has an open cab. Cant believe he planned on using that machine all winter like that. 15-20 an hour around here and most closer to 15.

10. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

If a guy is fast and efficient with the skid, 15-20 per hour around here. Small town.

11. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

its supply and demand. Sounds like he has people wanting to drive unheated skid steers at $15

12. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

a month ago the largest company in my neck of the woods had an employment add in the paper for $16-$18 per hour. that was for both skid steer operators and plow truck drivers.

13. mnguy

mnguy Member

I have two guys running skids, one gets $ 16 the other $ 15 per hour. Both are in nice heated newer skids.

14. jim5x5

jim5x5 Member

20-25 an hour around me.

15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

27.50 3hr min

Brand new cats 252b3's

16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

These both sound about right.

Get your truck fixed and problem solved.

$15/hr sounds low but for someone with experience in a skid I would go $20-$25/hr. Now if it's their own machine that's a different story.

17. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

I pay my guy 20 an hr. 4 hr min and hes running a 2003 s185 bobcat enclosed with heat.....AND am/fm radio.

18. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

$12-$18

$30 if you have your own truck and pull loader site to site

19. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I've done that before, it sucks. It all depends on how much experience you have. But $15 an hour in an open cab is not worth it!

20. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

He was only paying you $60 to run your own truck, why would you think he'd be fair with you to run his equipment? You are definitely better off finding someone else to work for, $15 an hour to freeze your butt off is not worth it.