1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the easiest way to tune a CB?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JeepPlow18, Apr 27, 2007.

1. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

The only thing that I am trying is the depth of the whip and that is really not working. It works but is far from clear. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.:dizzy:

2. haybaler

haybaler Member

you need a meter to adjust the whip. buy one cheap off ebay. if you can't adjust it to the proper range your cable is to long, or there's a short.

3. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

Thanks haybaler will try it out.

4. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Haybaler, i think i am having the same problem. Sometimes people on the other end say that it sounds like scratching on a blackboard after i talk. The They tell me to adjust the mic, but i don't have a button for that. Would a long cable be the proplem? The antenna has i think 10' or 12'. Let me know thanks Rich.

5. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

You need a SWR meter to set the standing wave.Some radio's have it built in.You check the standing wave on 1 and 40 and try to get a happy medium between the two.

The lowest reading you can get is the best,if its to high it can damage the radio over time and have poor performance.

You can adjust the whip up and down and sometimes you may have to trim some from the end to get it low enough.If you have to trim do a little at a time,you cant add it back.

As long as your cable is in good shape it shouldnt be a problem.

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If you sound "scratchy", its more than likely the mike.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You need as mentioned an SWR meter.
    You can get one at radio shack or some truck stops.

SWR, standing wave reflection.
    It's the part of your signals power coming back to your radio. The more reflection the less power leaves your antenna. The heat that is generated burns up the final transistor.

You can burn up the final transistor If you transmit. It could take some time to burn it up or it could go quickly depending on the SWR

If the SWR on ch1 is higher than the SWR is on ch40 than the ant is to short.
    If the SWR on ch1 is lower than the SWR is on ch40 than the ant is to long.

You want a SRW of 2.3 is o.k a swr of 1.5 is even better, make adjustments in small incriminates. If you fiddle with it you can get 1.1 ;)

Quality SR
    The scratching that there probably hearing is your mic button releasing.
    Clean and lubricate your mic.:waving:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

9. Quality SR

I cleaned the mic. The problem was that i was using the magnetic one (radioshack) and it had 10' of wire (Thats what it said on the box ;) ). It went in to my truck and there was a 5' coil of wire on the floor. I now have a back rack. I bolted up 2 wipes. And ran new cable. The cables are 10' long.( The store I went to had 3', 5', 10', and 20'. 3' and the 5' were too short, I had to go with the 10'. There is no slack with the cables) I also have an older CB it has 4 buttons on it. (adjustments) I don't know what they do, i don't have the paperwork. I seems to be working fine.

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

are you doing a peak and tune

11. Quality SR

The buttons on the cb are labeled with a symbol. I don't know what this means. It is working good so i am not going to mess with it.

12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

just get a 100 linear amp that should give you all the talk power you will need