1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the difference?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Polarisrider, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Polarisrider

Polarisrider Member

Hey guys i plan on selling my truck in the spring and buy a 3/4 ton GMC. Perferrably a 1999-2004. But I need to have an answer to this question. What is the difference between a Chevy/GMC 2500 and a Chevy/GMC 2500HD. Keep in mind year range from 1999-2004.:confused:
  2. bean7654

bean7654 Member

As far as I know I would think its all appearance but not 100 percent
  3. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

i have a 99 2500, not hd, and as far as i can see while lining it up to a buddies hd, the frame rails under the bed are slightly smaller, and the towing capacity is slightly less. the drivetrain seems the same, mine is a 6.0, and that truck works great. its the same wheels, bearings, etc...not sure on axle rating, but its a great truck.
  4. jperry9636

jperry9636 Member

The Chevy and GMC mainly the same truck. Compareing same year trucks the 2500's have a weaker frame and less load compacity and can range from 7600 to 8800 GVW. The 2500HD's have the bigger frame and bigger load compacity and 9200 GVW.

5. Polarisrider

Polarisrider Member

Ya i had heard that the HD came with different axles but i didnt know what the exact differences were between the two. I will proabely look for an 2500HD rather than a standred 2500. Also I no that chevy and gmc are pretty much the same but i maniy wanted to know the difference between a 2500 and a 2500HD.

Thanx, Aaron
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

7. Polarisrider

Polarisrider Member

Thanx for the input guys. I now know that I am going to look for a 2500HD. So for any of you guys that are thinking about upgrading in the spring keep me in mind. I will be looking for a 1999-2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD ext.cab short box. Perferably with the 6.0 or 8.1 no diesels please. Also what is the good and the bad with the allison transmissions. Thanx in advance.
  8. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

The Allison was not available with the 6.0 motor, it will be a 4L80E trans. I have 99,500 miles on my HD with the 6.0 and 4L80E and have had no problems at all, just service the trans regularly. Good Luck!
  9. 4L80E transmissions are 4 speed autos, and the Allisons are 5 speed autos. Both are very reliable if maintained properly, but the Allison is more expensive to fix as it is the heavier duty of the 2.
    On a side note, the Allison is used on the 8.1 and the 6.6 Duramax diesel because the 4L80E is not rated for the torque those engines put out.