1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what is the difference

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by S & L LawnCare, Oct 19, 2004.

1. S & L LawnCare

S & L LawnCare Member

What is the difference in plows Fisher, Boss, Blizzard, Heiniker, Diamond, etc... what the difference other than price Im confused

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

The biggest difference is everyone's opinion on each. Other than that, I don't even know where to start.

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Exactly

They are all different plow manufacturers, i suggest you do a search on this site or go to the websites of the plow companies. Links at the top of this page or type it into a search engine.

4. gkwoodfloors

gkwoodfloors Junior Member

I don't think i have ever heard any one say they really hate their plow. It's absolutely based on opinion. That is unless you need to follow certain weight requirements for your rig. Some manufacturers may have different control options. Also appearance is a big plus with some. I don't think you can honestly make a bad purchase with any of them. Talk to your local plow dealers and see what kind of operations they are running and what kind of support they can offer you. Find a good guy and go with them.

5. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

In addition to what was said above, plows come in two basic types with a couple of different versions.

1. Straight blades - Just how it sounds. It is one continuous mole board.
    a. Full Trip Mole Boards - the whole mole board trips over.
    b. Cutting Edge Trip Mole Boards - the mole board is mounted
    permanently and just the cutting edge trips.

2. V-blades - Just how it sounds...V blades. They make V, an inverted V, and
    go straight.

Some manufacturers make both straight and v blades, i.e., Western and Meyers; however, they are each owned by a corporation and have sister companies that make straight blades with trip edges, i.e., Western and Fisher are sister companies. Meyer and Diamond are sister companies.

There are steel mole boards, poly mole boards and all with a range of construction. They go from utilitarian models all the way up to heavyweights to go on a dump truck.

The company, Blizzard, is kind of in a class of its own (I can't believe I just said that. Western is still a better blade ;) just kidding guys, let it go!) Blizzard is a straight blade that has hydraulically assisted wings on the end of the blades. There are even after market wings for blades. Do a search, click on the links of the manufacturers above, keep reading, and keep asking questions.

Marshall

6. marylandplow

marylandplow Junior Member

ask dealers what parts and how many they keep in stock. The more parts kept in stock due to demand will kind of tell you. Which mafg has the most problems. Just my two cents :dizzy: