1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what is the difference? IN ss spreaders

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cat320, Jan 4, 2001.

1. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

What is the difference between 304 and the other number404? when you look at staneless steel spreaders?

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

304 is the high grade surgical stainless steel that can be left unpainted and will not corrode or rust.
    409 is the lower quality ss that needs to be painted. IMO stay with the 304, or with painted mild steel. No reason to pay for 409 ss and still have a corrosion issue.
    Dino

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

I was told (I'm not a metalergist) that 304 had 99% of the Iron removed from the steel and 409 has only 90%.

Either way, I certainly agree with Dino: go with the full stainnless, it'll cost less in the long run.

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

It's not the amount of iron removed, it's the percentage of Chromium and other alloying ingredients that are added.

5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Just don't go with the little Western Stainless Steel spreader. A guy I work with has one, and he really does not like it. He said he spends more time unjamming the salt than he does spreading. Just FYI

-Tim