1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the difference between one and two stage?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by AO8, Nov 26, 2009.

1. AO8

AO8 Junior Member
    from IL

I am new to plowing and if someone could tell me what the difference between one and two stage snowblowers is id appreciate it. Also, which one is better for doing residential driveways? Like which is easier to maneuver, pickup, and leaves a nice look when you are finished. Thanks in advance
  2. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

2 stages = better for slushy heavy/deep snow ( like by the ends of the driveway) the have 2 stages - one main front auger which cuts up and moves the snow to the center and then a high speed inner propeller which projects the snow out the chute. great machines but heavy to move around usually will need ramps or 2 people to lift, and they leave 1/8 - 1/4 of snow on the ground.
    a single stage has a fast moving impeller which does both at same time - these are best for light to moderate snowfalls, they are great cause they clean right down to the pavement and dont leave a lot behind. they have a rubber impeller which cleans right down to the pavement
  3. AO8

AO8 Junior Member
    from IL

Ok thanks, that helps me alot
  4. TGM

TGM Senior Member

see my (2nd) website. there are some big single stages that do very well
  5. Exact Services

Exact Services Senior Member

Pretty much ditto.

One of the exceptions of the two stages leaving snow behind are the Honda track drives. They don't have skid shoes on the side of the blower housing but they are aft of the scrapper bar which in fact can be set to scrape right down to the pavement in the forward most tilt position. Not good for gravel. Skid shoes on the side of the housing are best for gravel driveways.

Frankly if I had to clear driveways for hire with just 2-sage blowers I'd quit snow for hire. Too slow for most drives I do. Single stage blowers are so much faster under many conditions. I only off load my 2-stage Honda when conditions require it. It's essentially expensive traction ballast the majority of the time.

On the single blowers you will need to replace the rubber paddles and the rear scrapper frequently under heavy use.

6. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

the single stage blowers are usually lighter, and work ok in 6" or under snows, if you do alot of walks and driver the lighter the blower is, the better your back feels after 10 hours of blowing snow