1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the cost of plowing and salting?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by kyfireman2004, Feb 26, 2008.

1. kyfireman2004

kyfireman2004 Junior Member

Could someone help me with pricing salting and plowing. First I should tell everyone I have never plowed or salted before. My ?'s are how long does it take to plow an open acre say at 3'' and then at 6 then 9. Say using a straight blade (8) and maybe using a v blade.
    What about salting an acre? How much in salt will be used? How long does it take. What is the going rate for salting per ton? How much is bulk salt compared to buying it by the bag?
    I have 3 truckstops I need to bid this week for next winter.
    Thanks for any input.
  2. mchur01

mchur01 Senior Member

hard to say how much traffic and trucks r u gonna have to plow around, how many truck, ant manual clearing and how big r your salters?
  3. kyfireman2004

kyfireman2004 Junior Member

I more interested in info on the open areas. As far as a spreader I will be using a tailgate or v box.......depending on the info I get off here.
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think you should call around for salt pricing and go work for someone by the hour, to learn how to plow. You know nothing about plowing and your either going to screw youself or someone else. JMO
  5. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Kyfireman! Not that JD is sounding rude or anything, but to keep yourself on the safe side, I would consider working for another company for a few years until you get the hang of how things work!;) Theres alot to know about plowing, salting & its techniques! Just read plowsite threads for the rest of the winter, & you'll kearn a few things by starting out with that! :waving:
  6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

how long is it gonna take to clean 3 acers with an 8ft straight blade along long time
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

An acre an hour, is a good place to start. Sorry if I seemed rude but it's MO. Why don't you go out one night and watch the guy that does it now and time him.
  8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

and to answer youre Q' about whitch salter to buy:...i would by nothing but a tailgate spreader for 36 ton per storm, the v-box spreaders arent covered and the salt gets wet and no customer likes haveing wet salt put on thier lot.

O.H. i don't know where youre located but you might ought to consider bidding the mall of america if you want to ever start a second plow location, it would be easy all you have to do is hire sub's and they'll take care of the rest

Sorry if my numbers sound a little off but....i want this guy to get the job to get started in the plowing industry:rolleyes: i mean heck we need more guys like him (not affreaid of nothin).

i hope you had as much fun reading this as i did writing it but really take the advice above and be a SUB for a year or two
  9. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

too funny.
    bit harsh. but hilarious.
    and where is the mall of america? i want to bid on that. how long do you think it would take to snowblow it with a snowblower?
  10. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

well. that one is a loaded Q' too: and again there are alot of variables like do you plan on useing a
    or a 2 stage? ;)
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

ROLMAO......................still laughing.:drinkup:
  12. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Open cab skid steers with a bucket work best for this type of lot. Epoke drop spreaders will get your salt down quick. Make sure you dont forget to shovel the snow out from between parked cars.
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  13. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Why make more work for himself? If he's gonna have a snowblower their, just cram it between the cars.
  14. Turf Masters

Turf Masters Member

Here are some numbers!

Since I have been at this game for a long time I will give you some numbers to work with.Bulk salt should cost around $46-52 PER TON .You should x by 3 and thats your selling price per ton delivered and spread.As for plowing some charge by the hour or push.I charge by the push every 3 inches.It averages out to about $150 per hr.per tk.I hope this helps.
  15. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Our buddy Superman will tell him how to do it right:rolleyes::D
  16. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Salt in CT is around $90 per ton.

I like that answer.

Then the car owners blame the scratches on the plow guy.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Is it that difficult to just give the guy a straight answer?

Figure an acre an hour, probably more for a newbe and a lot more for a truck stop.

What's manual cleaning? He's plowing, not doing restrooms.

Since you're in Kentucky, you're probably going to be burning a lot of the snow off with salt, especially in a truck stop, since you're never going to plow the entire place.

As for how much salt, that will depend on conditions and since I'm in a colder climate than you, I'd have a hard time giving a good number on how much.

6" with a straight blade is probably going to be 75-100% more and 9" will be another at least 50% to the 6" time.

I see someone else replied, but not everybody can get salt at that price, so be careful when telling someone that, you might cause him to lose his butt.

Having said this, JD and PJ are correct, you might want to think seriously about subbing for a year or 2 to get your feet wet before you either lose your butt or ruin you reputation to the point that you lose business.
  18. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

My opinion is no time like the present to get your feet wet.... how do you learn or make money by subbing it out?? Take on one job for your first year to "get your feet wet" see how it goes then maybe take on some more work.
  19. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

when he says be a sub thats what he means. get work from another contracter. he dosent mean get the place then sub it to somebody eles

TD BOBCAT Junior Member

General questions regarding Snow clearing in Canada

I am in Alberta and have done snow clearing for 7 yrs now. All my lots are on an as needed basis with a minimum 1.0hr charge. I am now being asked to supply a contract price for the new Walmart Super Store and shopping mall location. The total clearing area would be 22 acres + all the loading dock areas and sidewalks. I have 7yrs history of clearings for my existing customers so calculating the snow clearing is not going to be any problem but the sidwalk clearing and sanding is. I am just wondering how to go about calculating time to do this and the average amount of sand used/acre. I have a retail bulk product store so getting sanding chips in bulk is not a problem as I already supply the local sanding contractor but I would like to know for myself what is the actual used /acre verses what he wants me to know. Understand???

In short I want to make sure I am not leaving anything on the table when I quote this contract as it will be for the season and then if it all works out will roll into the spring summer site maintenance as well. So I don't want to @$#% it up.