1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the cause of my blade laying back to far?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by LesleinLawn, Jan 7, 2010.

1. LesleinLawn

LesleinLawn Member
    from NE Ohio

My blade is laying back to far. As you will see in the pictures my blade is leaned back, almost as if there is pressure backwards. Like in the picture of the springs, its almost like their is something pulling the top of the board is being pulled back towards the truck.

What is wrong here. I do not see anything bent. I do not see what the problem is myself, but I know there is one. Look how low the a frame is sitting to the ground. The whole thing is racked back.

Please tell me why!!!

105_4494.jpg

2. LesleinLawn

LesleinLawn Member
    from NE Ohio

look here at the return springs. They are like compressed, like being pulled back towards the truck

105_4495.jpg

3. LesleinLawn

LesleinLawn Member
    from NE Ohio

see how low!!!

105_4496.jpg

4. Sonic Buzz

Sonic Buzz Member

The same thing happend to me you need to check for stops the blade went back to far after it triped, and i was stumped but some 1 on here told me to hook a chain in 1 of the feet throw the chain back towards the front over and rap it around the tree and back up loosen springs first but if you go back a ways you will find what he told me

5. Sonic Buzz

Sonic Buzz Member

also looks like u need a new cutting edge make sure u get the stops fixed or it will keeep doing the same thing

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

To much lift chain shorten it up a little

7. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

When mine did that I found some cracks in the moldboard where the sector mounts. I had to remove the sector from the moldboard to repair it

8. jwkv

jwkv Member

breaks or bend will do it.

9. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Mine was like that......It was bent. ...I undid the springs, leaned it forward and welded in a couple pieces of 1/2" steel. That fixed it.

10. tastebeer

tastebeer Member

I had the same issue, this only occurs on the S series plows. I unhooked the trip springs and found that the stops (ablut 3" wide and 4" tall were not stopping the blade when it returned. I welded another flat steel piece on each end where sector is to stop the return and that corrected the problem. PS to see what angle for the blade, look at the shoe mount and that should be paraelle to the ground.

Good luck.

11. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

I got it

While laying in bed last night i figured your problem out. It is the pivot pins on the moldboard. I had a bunch of these snap because they rust and the board cant pivot. I cut a hole in the board and heat up where the pin goes through the board. Install new pin with loys of Never Sieze (my best friend)

12. brett.archer

brett.archer Junior Member

this happens to me sometimes, i push the bottom of the plow up against a curb and that usually pushes it back. Hassle.

13. brett.archer

brett.archer Junior Member

Where do I find the pivot pins?

14. JMR

JMR Senior Member

15. w4hyi

w4hyi Member

If u want a cheap fix and u have a welder take the springs off push the blade foward and weld angle cross the front of the turn table that will stop the plow from folding backwards

16. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Been there and tried this. This will be a temparary fix at best until the pins break and the blade is hanging there by the springs and the angle cylinders. Fix it right so it will last and be trouble free.

17. w4hyi

w4hyi Member

what do the pins have to do with it folding backwards it the stops they are worn out the angle will act as the stops

18. JMR

JMR Senior Member

The worn pins allow the blade to shift forward and jump over the stops. If you disassemble the blade(remove the springs) and fold it forward there will be a ton of play in the pivot pins. You will then see why it jumps over the stops. This is a very common problem with Meyers plows.

19. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Your plow is broke.

20. LesleinLawn

LesleinLawn Member
    from NE Ohio

you hit the nail on the head.

$200 later and all is good, Thanks