1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the best wlk behind Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Jake23rc, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Jake23rc

Jake23rc Member

I am wondering what you guys think the best walk behind spreader is. I have a very basic salt dogg spreader. Will be using it for sidewalks and small parking lots. Any ideas????

Thanks

Tim

Jake Enterprises Inc

06 F-250 (5.4)
    96 F-250 (5.8)
    8x16 MTI enclosed trailer
    6x12 dump trailer
    48 Exmark TTHP
    48 Exmark Lazer Z w/ultra vac
    52 Exmark Lazer Z w/ultra vac
    21 Cub Cadet push
    Echo, Kawasaki, and Stihl weed trimmers, edgers, and blowers
    Ryan Aerators
    Toro Snowblowers
    7.5 Western MVP Pro poly blade
    8.5 Western MVP Pro poly blade

2. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

I think the Salt Dogg walk behind is one of the better ones.

3. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

i have always used the stainless steel earthways them seem to handle the abuses my guys put on them, only problem is the calcium does clog up the outlets at the bottom of the hopper after about 2 bags if it's really moist outside- thats the only problem i have had with them, but i would imagine you would have that problem with any spreader.

4. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Best advise...go stainless, it's really worth the extra money. I have one that's called "Big Foot" that I use year round. I have wrecked way too many good spreaders that I let the walk guys use. Unless your really good about washing anything else out EVERY time...go stainless.:nod:

5. Jake23rc

Jake23rc Member

Wow thanks a lot for the response. Any model of stainless better then not and how about price. Like I said the one I have is a entry level spreader. The spinner seems to stop working at different points I have tried to make adjustments but never seems to stay fixed for very long.

Jake Enterprises Inc

06 F-250 (5.4)
    96 F-250 (5.8)
    6x12 dump trailer
    48 Exmark TTHP
    21 Cub Cadet push
    Ryan Aerators
    Toro Snowblowers

6. Dhouse

Dhouse Member

All walk behind spreaders are pieces of junk. They are over priced and poorly engineered. Get a 5 gallon bucket from home depot and your set.

7. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I have the Earthway Stainless. It works OK, but it does clog up when there are chunks in the salt. I am going to weld a T on the top of the shaft that spins in it to help break up chunks.

Type of material seems to be very important too. Salt with larger chunks/crystals tends to not flow as well. I have thought of using a hole saw to make the holes bigger, but dont want to ruin it for spreading fert. More then likely I will just drill the holes bigger and dedicate it to sidewalk salting.

I will be buying a tailgate unit pretty soon for small lot salting. Only 400-500 lbs at a time, but tired of dealing with a walk behind for anything more then sidewalks.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A have an Epoke Mini. You have never seen one work if you can make that statement. It is a drop spreader and will spread anything. Wouldn't be any good for lots but for sidewalks it is the best. $1200 in Canada. Last year we put atleast 50 tons of bulk clearlane through it.

9. Jake23rc

Jake23rc Member

I am thinking about a tailgate spreader but just cant pull the trigger.

Jake Enterprises Inc

06 F-250 (5.4)
    96 F-250 (5.8)
    6x12 dump trailer
    48 Exmark TTHP
    21 Cub Cadet push
    Ryan Aerators
    Toro Snowblowers

10. Signature lawns

Signature lawns Junior Member

I've used the Snow-Ex SP 75 walkbehind spreader with great results. It's specifically designed for salt, unlike fertilizer spreaders. It has a deflector shield thats great for containing the salt on sidewalks and off the grass, it will spread to 4 feet with the shield and 15 feet without. Also comes with a cover to keep things dry inside the poly hopper (holds 100# of salt). It is pricey though. (around $435.00)

11. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Are you copy/pasteing that into each post? lol

You know you can make your sig automatic by goin in the user cp and entering it in there. then it will come up on its own.

12. Jake23rc

Jake23rc Member

Thanks for the info on the cut and paste

13. stuntrider25

stuntrider25 Junior Member
    from ri

salt dogg spreader

i read one of the postings and it was stated that he bought a salt dogg spreader for $159 i was just wondering you found it for that price i appreciate the help, as i have some small areas to salt with a wald behind
    thanks
    Peters Excavating and Landscape construction

1996 chevy 2500 hd
    8' fisher mm
    bobcat
    gmc topkick