1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the best way....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Quality SR, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

What is the best way to plow lots with speed bumps? One of my lots has 2 speed bumps. 1 is about 30' from the main apron, and the other one is about 30' from the first one. I tried to push all the snow up to the speed bump then back up over it and back drag. It worked with the high snow but I couldnt remove the snow that was equal height to the speed bump. Is there a better way to do this? I was thinking of a back drag edge, the permanent one not the one on the hinge. Any advice would be great. Thanks Rich

2. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

I just plow right over the bump. Not at normal speed tho-- I move at a crawl and I square the blade with the bump. I'm guessing the way you tried it you may have compacted the snow on the backside of the bump so much it made it difficult to remove.

3. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

whatever you do dont get the western back drag edge i have heard they are horrible

4. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

I have a western backdrag edge and it work fine, where you get your info from
    dodgeguy99, maybe you shouldnt comment on things you know nothing about. :dizzy:

5. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

I have used a western backdrag edge before and the snow always gets packed inbetween the cutting edge and the backdrag edge and then the plow just rides over the snow.

6. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

Going over it with your blade turned will make a big difference to. Never straight blade over a speedbump..it hurts

7. Quality SR

I think thats what happened. What a mess. I tried going over it, but the blade didnt bounce back. I think I need new springs.

8. Quality SR

Are they? I am going to make my own, The hinged one.

9. Quality SR

You mean with the blade angled? I'll have to try that. Ya going straight over is painful. :eek:
    The back dragging way stinks. I'll try that the next time it snows( could be never :cry: :cry: )

10. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i have never used a hinged one but i hear that they kick a$$ i think there is a thread on here somewhere where a guy made his own out of an old cutting edge

11. Quality SR

Ya Grn Mtn has it. I looks like it works well.. I am going to fool around this weekend and I want to see if I can make on of those. That might work well for me

12. Quality SR

I found a way tonight. I plowed on an angle, and when i got close enough to the speed bump, I just picked up the plow a little bit(like and inch) and I felt the blade ride right over it. I was almost like picking it up just enough to be off the ground where the bump meet the asphalt. There was no snow left behind. Not on the speed bump itself or before and after the speed bump.
    Thanks for the advice.