1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the best way to repair this?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by redbug2, Jun 26, 2011.

1. redbug2

redbug2 Junior Member
    from PA

Hello,

I'm repairing this plow for a guy at work.

The rest of the plow is in great shape, the plow itself is a little rusty.

He's going to use it on his driveway and his mother-in-laws driveway and that's it. Not for commercial use.

I was thinking about cutting the large top rotted sections out and welding in two pieces on top. I have a roller so I'll be able to put the curve in the patch pieces. Then little pieces to fill in at the bottom. Should I lap the joints or make it fit right in? A lap joint would be better but the snow might stick to it.

How about treating the rust? I was thinking about possibly blasting then a rust converter then Eastwood rust encapsilator, then paint. Or would you just skip the blasting? I have already hit the large corrosion areas with a needle scraper.

Or, is there a new skin available and how much is it?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,

Redbug2

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

3. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

I would scrap that mold board and look for a used one on Craig's List and E-Bay because the structural integrity has been compromised on that one.

4. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I read on some other threads about using phosphoric acid to treat the rust. I would replace the entire skin rather than patching good luck

5. lohr

lohr Junior Member
    from 18411

We reskin plows all the time we have aplate roller that will roll a blade upto 8 feet by 1/4 inch thick if your interested give us a call we are in NEPA (570)487-4151 Thanks Mark