1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the best way to plow a gravel driveway

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TheKing, Dec 4, 2003.

1. TheKing

TheKing Junior Member

Hey, can anyone give me tips on how to plow a gravel, oil and chip or QP driveway? I don't wanna tear them up or push the rocks all over. Is haveing feet on the plow the only way?
  2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

The firs time or two will suck since the ground isn't frozen enough. What I do is drop the blade then hit the joystick up for a split second and drive a bit slower. This keeps the plow from riding with it's full weight on the ground. You COULD use the fabled plow shoes but they could leave two small grooves in the gravel.

No matter what, by the end of the year, you will lose a little bit of gravel. Once the ground freezes you can plow just like on concrete or asphalt.
  3. jeepplow

jeepplow Junior Member

First of all, I am a personal plower, not a contractor. So others may have more experience.

I have a gravel driveway with some rather large (2 inch) stone for a portion of the driveway. I have a Western Pro that I bought shoes for and I simply back drag the snow into the street and then push it into piles back onto my property. When pushing from the road I have to lift the plow a couple inches to avoid rolling the 2 inch stone into my yard.

Most of my driveway is inclined so I doubt I would be successful trying to push even with the shoes and lifting the blade a few inches.

This works well for me and clears most of the snow off the gravel drive.

Good luck.
  4. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Let someone else do it. Thats the easy way
  5. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

you could back drag or just lift the plow
  6. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

I have a gravel drive. Like easthavenplower said you could either backdrag it or lift the plow. I drop the plow and lift it just enough to pull the front end back down and plow forward with the weight off the blade. It works really well and you can get the hang of it in just a few passes.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Put a urethane cutting edge on your steel edge.
  8. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

Putting a urethane cutting edge is another good idea if you don't mind spending around $300.
  9. slowpoke

slowpoke Member

On the gravel drives I do I've found backdraging to be the only way to get them done without a lot of heartache. It will leave some snow on the drive, but it's better than trying to lift the blade. The smaller gravel usually will stick to the snow and roll with it. When all else hire a kid with a shovel :)
  10. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I have found that if I just don't plow the first snowfall of the year it works great the rest of the year. The first few inches get packed down and make a great base. I am in interior Alaska where in the spring we still have the first inch of snow that fell in the fall so this may not work in a warmer climate where the base melts. By the way is there such a thing as a driveway that is not gravel;) my whole neighborhood is gravel including the roads.