1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the best way to get BUSINESS?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by PAPLOWER, Jan 24, 2005.

1. PAPLOWER

PAPLOWER Junior Member

I looking for bset way find BUSINESS after a storm .
    Or looking in the summer for work in the winter?? :alien:

2. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Make your self present! Go out and do some friends/neighbours/family driveways. When people see you out all over town doing driveways they might stop you and ask you to do theirs. Works for me, but I live in a small town where everybody knows everybody. Or just get a magnet sign to stick on your door and park at malls and stores.

3. face-shot

face-shot Junior Member
    from NH

Early in the season i seson i sent postcard advertisment 14oo people. I got 35 acounts out of it and it cost less than $1500. It seems like alot if $ but if i plow the acounts twice at $25 a piece its paid for. Thats my two cents

4. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

I advertise on local webpages as well as local papers when winter is about to begin. The web advertising is free. The papers i use ( two papers ) usually run about 35 bucks for the ad i place a week. I only do the papers right brfore winter and prior to a "Known storm" Other thanthat i sometimes take the old fashined approach and knockon doors like i did as a kid with a shoovel in my hand. Respectivly i get about 2 people out of of 15 knocks or drivebys. I love it when people are out there shoveling and watch you pull up and say "Shew im glad you stopped". Ive gotten more plows that way!!

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

When I used to advertise ( I haven't had to for 3+ years now- all new customers have come from referrals) I would advertise in the local small papers that get mailed to every home in a certain local. I would also make flyers with my logo, contact info and brief message and would drop them off at potential houses as I was driving around doing other things- especially in the neighborhood of current customers.

Also, I made up a special flyer with the logo and contact info saying " I was asked to estimate a home in your neighborhood please contact me for an estimate on your snowplowing needs" that I would leave in a neighborhood when I was estimating a new customer there. You'd be surprised how well that works- just make them professional looking.

6. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Advertising

I agree w/ justme.
    22 years ago, when I went into Contracting, I sent out flyers and it got me started.
    This is my first year plowing and, other than my contracting contacts, flyers have been my most successuful means of advertising. Every snow/ice event while I'm out plowing, my wife rides around the county and gives flyers to any lots, stores, ect., that are not being serviced. I have picked up two large commercial accounts like that this year. Both accounts were being serviced by someone who just didn't show up.