1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what is the best V Plow to buy?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Daner, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

The set up that i use now is a large John Deere tractor with a blower and a fabed back drag blade...I want to put a v plow on my 4x4 pick up... i like the down pressure plows for doing my driveway work... any suggestions??:confused: :confused: :confused: :yow!:

2. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I have the Fisher Ez-V 8'6, I like it because it has a trip edge as opposed to other V blades that are full trip. The advantage is that when in scoop or V the blade can stay in that position and trip where as the full trip have to go straight before they can trip.
    My advice get a 9'6 V when you get one, the 8'6 is great just wish I had bigger.

3. sonicblue2003

sonicblue2003 Senior Member

I have the Western MVP and it also has trip edges. I'm kind of partial to Western though. It is full fuction right or left wing alone, full or both to Vee or scoop and it locks where you stop it.

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I would go western or fisher V plow. Same blade, different paint.

Just decide if you like the fisher minute mount or the western ultra mount.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you want Down Pressure, only a Snoway Vee blade can provide Down Pressure, does everything everybody else does plus has hydraulics down pressure. No one else can make that claim. Have been running them since the early ninety's and love them.

6. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

We run 100% Western..

Is downpressure really necessary?? The plows already weigh 1200lbs... We've never had a problem...:drinkup:

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway's weigh 810/825 depending on moldboard material. I had Westerns but I got tired of changing ball joints and front end components. The little rubber flap was about useless as well, always left that little center line, and having to change modes for different functions was a pain in the butt.
    Lots of times I don't need to run DP but when I do for packed snow, rough roads, backdragging, frozen crap clean-up, etc. it kicks butt.

8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've always wondered how snoway's V plow rolls snow when using like a straight blade. Granted all the V plows don't work as well as a straight blade when using like a straight blade, but the snoway has that fixed middle piece, so the snow really must slow down when rolling. Tried watching their video online, but didn't really show it. Anyone with a snoway V have input.

9. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

I have a Boss and love it . Fast ,super easy to hook up , great lights,.

I plow driveways and some small lots and have had no problems with the full trip , but I try to be easy on my equipment.

I have never found anybody yet ,to pay me extra if I go like hell and tear stuff up.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I think they work great, never had an issue with them rolling snow in any position. The only real issue i've had is driving to fast and taking out mailboxes with the discharge.

11. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

I believe any vee plow that has a tripping cutter edge is the best plow to buy.:)

12. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I like the western MVP

13. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

BOSS up here.

14. Daner

Thanks for all the replies

I think now i have to get some prices on the V Plows... i do like the down presure option... i do alot of country drives...no big lots yet...I Will make sure i,m sitting firm in my seat when i call the dealers this morning...Looks like i'm headed towards the Sno-ways 8 footer:confused: :D

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

9'1" dosen't cost or weigh much more. Love the poly skins.

16. Daner

I was told that the western is a better and stronger plow...that the sno_way has some problems with the center section when you hit something there are some parts that sheer off...But Holy ---- 7000 Bucks CAN thats lot of inmaginary snow to push to pay for that baby...Better start snowen soooooooon:yow!:

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The center poly on the SnoWay is designed to shear in the event of unreasonable impact. Only time I sheared the poly it was swacking a raised manhole cover in a devolpment I didn't know. I was doing a freind a favor, in a hurry running at about 25mph. The blade was in a Modified (partial) Vee push'n about three inches of snow, running right down the center with a full load of salt in the hooper. I hit hard enough to tighten the belts then traveled on leaving a white stripe down the middle. Didn't hurt anything else, was easy to fix, and I haven't done it since.
    Check the thread "Broken cutting edge"

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  18. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

This is very true. Buying a brand new V Plow, you'd better hope it starts to snow! :cry:

19. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Western and fisher are the same and I like em. I prefer them to boss since they have a full trip for what I do. If your mostly going slower ect then the boss might work ok. The boss sure is a heck of alot quicker. Never needed or wanted downpressure? Boss and fisher V's both weigh enoguh I dont think its an issue. Boss also has a pretty steep angle of attack. The angle of attack kinda sucks for gravel though......fisher and western seem to do better on gravel from what I have experienced but I dont do much gravle.

7K is too steep for any blade IMO.

What all kinda stuff are you doing? What truck(cab config and motor too)? What kinda plowing are you looking at doing in the future? Have you looked at blizzards at all?

20. Daner

I was at the landscape/contractors show today...

And looking at all the diff plows out now... i saw them all on display...And being a welder fitter for over 30 yrs...the western seems to catch my eye the most...boss has a good hook up system...but hell once its on there... the other hook up fairly fast as well...The Blizzard...did impress me but i can see the end parts that flip around and go in a nd out to be a night mare if you hit and bend something there...sno-way did not have a display to see
    I have always been a bit of a cowboy
    think i will go for the westernpurplebou :)