1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the best tire for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AB Lawn Care, Oct 6, 2000.

1. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care Member

2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I have used regulare M&S truck tires with relatively good success. An aggressive tread pattern helps alot.

Some All weather M&S radials aren't bad either.

I like the General Grabber MT myself. I have run them on my chevy trucks with great success.
  3. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Tall and skinny isn't always best. I run 33 x 12.5" tires. Without ballast, I have trouble, but with it my truck is unstoppable. I found out I needed ballast the first time I plowed. I added 4 bags of salt between the wheel wells, and did MUCH better. That was my first season with the tires. The next year, I added sideboards to my truck. I also began carrying a snow blower, ramps, and a gas can along with the salt I need. The extra weight works wonders for traction. Oh, and the tires I have are Cooper Discoverer or Discovery. Basically an all terrain tread like a Goodyear Wrangler. They were on the truck when I bought it, and had a few hundred miles on them.

5. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Have a set of all season radials from General Tire on my 3/4 ton GMC and I've never had a problem. Quite surprised about it truthfully.
  6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

We've tried several brands of tires, settled on Cooper "Weathermaster" as the absolute best snow traction tire on the market. And not terribly pricey either, I just bought 4 235/75-15 and 4 265/75-16 LT for under $600 mounted and balanced. The Coopers will out push Hakkapelita (sp) and Hakkas get good marks for traction.

If you're in an area wher the is never much accumulation from previous storms you can probably get away with lesser tires, but up here where it may get to 2' sitting on the ground and hardening up, you need all you can get if you get off the beaten track.

[Edited by Alan on 10-06-2000 at 08:41 PM]
  7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

BJs, is where i get my truck tires. Uniroyal, they have a good tread, quite down the road, and long lasting.

8. Bill c

Bill c PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ny

I gotta agree with the cooper weather masters,there great.
  9. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I like the Firestone wilderness AT's preferably in 15 inch.
  10. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

We, too, like the Firestone products. They're especially helpful to our Fords when the snowplows won't drop; all you need to do is roll the vehicle over and the plow drops just fine. We call this dual mode plowing.
  11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Not only that, but when the tread separates, it acts like on spot chains, getting thrown under the remaining rim.
  12. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We're having WAYYYYY too much fun here.

Snowplowing is serious business dammit, and this is a serious discussion. This guy wants to get our advice and here we are, having fun.

My God, what's this forum coming to?

Now then.....

We stopped using tires. Just chains. On rims. Works great. Nothin stops us. They're great on lawns too.
  13. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow Senior Member

We use steel D8 Dozer Tracks. A bit fun to stop on Ice.
  14. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-15.

But they only make them in 15"

In our 16" trucks we use the Cooper WeatherMasters.

Also the Bridgestone WinterMasters (?) are right up there.

But NO tire will match the Blizzak WS-15.
  15. Chuck Smith

from NJ

6 lug pattern

Does anyone know if GM 6 lug wheels, are the same 6 lug pattern used on mid 70's Jeep Wagoneers? I know GM 6 lug rims fit right onto a Toyota pickup, and late 70's Datsun trucks.

A friend has a set of GM 6 lug wheels for sale, and has someone interested with a 70's Jeep Wagoneer, 6 lug. They are a few states apart, so they can't "try them on". I guess they can both measure what they got, but thought someone here might know for sure.

16. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I'm not for sure but I don't think so most of the time jeep patterns are more with Ford and Dodge,if no one gives you a forsure here call your local salvage yard they will know.
  17. mike48114

mike48114 Junior Member

Snow Plow Tires

Short and sweet : BFGOODRICH A.T. OR BFGOODRICH M.T.
    there is no better with out putting tracks on your rig.
  18. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Yeah, RIGHT!

I run BFG AT's in the summer. They may be the best all-around tire for 4 seasons, but are inferior to a true ice tire.

The new ones have a tinge more winter bite than the old ones did, but they're no snow tire.
  19. Chuck Smith

from NJ

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned "sipes", or having tires siped. From what I've read, they make a HUGE difference in traction on ice.
    A sipe is basically a cut across the tread of the tire, about 5/16" deep. No material is removed, only "slitted". They are done every few inches around the whole tire.

That's why you keep hearing the Michelin ads saying "With Y sipe technology". They make tires that have sipes, but from what I've read, having them siped at a shop provides more traction.

I read that sipes were invented by a boat fanatic. He found by making small slits in the soles of his shoes, he didn't slip on the wet deck of the boat. Go figure!

20. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Siping is an excellent traction booster. Only problem is finding a shop that can do siping, It's pretty much lost technology. The siping on those Michelins is molded in and nowhere near as good as cut sipes. I've run siped Bandag retreads and the "commercial traction" tread with siping was excellent for traction and seemed to wear longer than the unsiped version of the same tire.