1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Is The Best Plow???????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 01FordPlower, Dec 7, 2006.

1. 01FordPlower

01FordPlower Member
    from PA

I am finally going to put a plow on my truck this year. At first the only thing in my mind was a Fisher or a Western, both straight plows. Then yesterday I went to go look at a Blizzard plow. The 800HD plow looked much more heavy duty then the a Fisher and Western. My concerns were with the way the plow raises and lowers. How does the pump handle with out chains lifting it and dropping it? And do you like the joysticks over the touch pad? The joystick feels more natural. And what are your experiences with the Blizzard over its competitors? But, overall what plow out there is the best, or is it personal opinion. :help: Thanks,

2. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

When it comes to professional use, the dealer makes most of the difference if parts/service is needed. A lot of the plows are big in certain areas because of where they are made.
  3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Personally, I think that Western makes the best plow and has the best warrenty/customer service.
  4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

They all work well. Someone always has a problem with a manufacturer at some point. check out the plows, go with your gut feeling, dealer support, and price.
  5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as the "best" overall. i think there might be a "best" that suits you or me or someone else.
  6. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

Blizzard or BOSS

I like not having chains to deal with.
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The best plow?
    A working one, that is hanging on the front of your truck!!:waving:

We know where this is leading don't you guys?

:waving: see you there!
  8. Fusion Fab

Fusion Fab Junior Member

No Such Thing As Best

Dealer support is a big plus. I run a Boss 9'2 Vee and Boss 8'6 Strait and luv um. I would go with the dealer that has the most parts inventory and is closer to where your plowing. Dealers around here will stay open all storm long to provide for there customers.I on the other hand dont have a boss dealer local but i have a spare part for everthing that could go wrong, but that gets costly. You probably wont have any probs. outta most plows for 3 or more years but just my 2 cents. Justin
  9. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

I totally agree. Dealer service wins hands down.
  10. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

If you're going to be making a living with this plow then the best one is the one that works reliably (ie: pretty much all the major commercial-grade brands...Fisher, Western, BOSS, etc.)...and when it stops working is easy to get serviced nearby. I wouldn't consider any brand plow that didn't have a COMPETENT service department within 20 minutes drive.

If you have multiple options I'd base your choice on price, color or whatever random thing that floats your boat.
  11. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

WOW!!!!! :You guys didn't even start a fight :gunsfiring: on this one thats great for a change!!!!!! I agree with all the comments made but I like Jay's the best. It depends on what you're plowing and what YOU like.
  12. 01FordPlower

01FordPlower Member
    from PA

SO basically the conclusion is any of the major brands will do the job, it comes down to price, and what I personally like. And, that there is a dealer near me that will do service when it breaks down.
  13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: I think you hit the nail on the head..:nod:
  14. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

regarding the Blizzard lifting cylinder...

The only difference is with Blizzard/Boss, the cylinder pushes the plow up and holds it there, on the other plows the cylinder (using the chain) pulls the blade off the ground. There isn't any chain slap with the Blizzard/Boss. Some folks don't like the hydraulics package on the plow frame, as opposed to having it on the A-frame. I don't have a preference. Like the guys said, "go with your gut, dealer proximity, and price". Oh, and have some fun!!!:bluebounc
  15. Snoflo

Snoflo Member

Seems ike Ford Plow is on the mark however just a little tid bit of info...I heard douglas dynamics (western plow manufacturer) has bought Blizzard plows. Word on the street is they may just abolish blizzard and incorporate the design into Western and it may soon be hard to get replacement parts for blizzard plow. we currently use all Westerns and the only maintenance or down issues we have had in five years is the wiring harnesses.
  16. 01FordPlower

01FordPlower Member
    from PA

Wow, I had heard that Douglas had bought Blizzard, but I had no idea that they might get red of the Blizzard line, just to take Blizzards idea's and use them on the Western plows.
  17. Snoflo

Snoflo Member

Its not fact just yet but it is the word on the street.
  18. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Thats like asking what truck to buy. Opinions are like ass holes we all have one. I will say dont buy yellow if your trying to make a living with it.
  19. Michael M

Michael M Member

Curtis Plows

Curtis makes a fantastic plow. Great customer service. Local MA company.
  20. lazerslicer

lazerslicer Member

Boss Boss Boss Oh And Didi Mention Boss I Just Got The 8'2 V-blade Will Never Buy Anythiing Else Had A Used Meyer 7.5 Man Does This Boss Put This Meyer To Its Grave....... By The Way I Shopped All Plows Fisher ,western ,blizzard Meyer And I Settled The Bosssssss But I Do Agree With Most Guys R Saying The Dealer That Can Fix Or Repair U Closest To Jobs