1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the best plow set up for 2000 Tacoma?

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by bstout, Sep 19, 2007.

1. bstout

bstout Member

I have a 2000 Tacoma 4X4 with a standard transmission and a 6 cyl. Is anyone else plowing with one of these vehicles? Seems all that's available for these trucks is plastic blades. Anyone have a truck like this with a steel blade on it? I can't believe how head strong the dealers are about selling plastic blades. The thing that rubs me wrong is they're not selling for plastic prices. I'd like a steel blade on my Tacoma. All dealers say no way!

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I can assure you that the Lexan blades on the Snoway's are plenty strong enough to take some brutal hits and will work just as well as a steel blade maybe better with the downpressure.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Why do you want a steel blade? Heavier, rusts, will not slide snow as well as polycarbonates.
    Plastics are Superior to steel in many ways, why shouldn't it be priced accordingly?

4. bstout

bstout Member

Now I understand. No one on this site has a metal blade on their Tacoma. That's all I was asking.

Does anyone have a link to a plow site where they have guys using metal blades on their Tacoma.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check the manufacturer's sites, the links are at the top of the page. Somebody might make a steel moldboard, Meyer perhaps.

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have a Fisher LD on my Tacoma.

You will hear all this stuff abour federal regs etc but IMO Fisher did a diservice to the small truck industry when they stopped making the LD mounts. My Tacoma is an extra cab with the V6 and it handles the plow fine. I also know of a crew cab Tacoma with and LD.

My next small truck blade will be the new Meyer setup. I am researching now putting a Diamond 7ft trip edge blade on the Meyer setup. Only about 50lbs difference.

7. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 6.8 LD fisher on a tacoma. Its now currently on a ford ranger. But will be back on a tacoma soon enough. I really would stay away from snoways at all costs.

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

what are you gunna plow with this Tacoma? not commerically are you?

9. Flipper

from CT

My two Toyotas do 74 driveways and 3 private roads. The F550 does just lots and occassionally does the roads. The Toyotas make 2-3 times per hour (gross) what the big truck does and combined they use less fuel then the 550.

So yeah, I do commercial plowing with them. Each piece of equipment has its niche. I get into drives with the Toyota where full size trucks can't even enter.

10. Philbilly2

woah, easy guy, I was wondering if you are going to be plowing lots with it or not. I'm saying, there are to many things to hit while plowing commerically to have a plastic blade. Espessially if you have a person who dosen't own the truck and blade driving. But, I needed to find out what you were going to be plowing before I made a post so I could give you accrate feedback. I wasn't ripping on you or your equipment. I was simpliy asking a honest question. I think western makes a plow that will fit that truck. use the quickmatch system if you haven't already. I know I have seen a steel blade on small trucks, just cant remeber what trucks I've seen them on.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

12. Philbilly2

Fisher. That's who it is. They make a steel blade for a tacoma

13. Flipper

from CT

Not anymore.

If would probably be best to read the posts before responding.

14. bstout

bstout Member

Okay, I feel like I might be getting somewhere here. The Tacoma's can handle a Fisher LD version without any trouble. I believe that. So now I'm going to have to put my nose to the ground looking for a used Fisher LD that will fit a 2000 Tacoma and have someone who isn't authorized install it for me. Regulation is really good for business isn't it!

Help me out here guys. What year Toyota Tacoma mounts for the LD will fit my 2000. I think I read somewhere that from 1995 until 2004 were all the same for taco's. Is this true? Where's the best place to hunt for a used Fisher LD? The local junkyard?

I dunno!

15. Flipper

from CT

95-02

Universal Welding in Oakville CT still has the Tacoma mounts. They are easy to install. The is a complete Fisher LD for a Tacoma on ebay right now. Probably a drive for you though.

16. bstout

bstout Member

Wow! That is a clean looking blade on the bay. You're correct though. Too long of a drive for me. That's what I'm looking for. I have the money burning a hole in my pocket but no product.

I can say this to all of the dealers out there. You better get the regulations changed back to the way they were or you're going to lose a lot of money. People won't be pressured into buying anything they don't want.

I'd rather have a good used one than a lousy new one!

17. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Shipping of a LD shouldn't be too bad, as they're lighter than the larger ones. Sandblasted, painted, hoses replaced, fluids changed out... it's a new blade anyway!

Good luck

~Kevin

18. bstout

bstout Member

I just called every Fisher dealer in Wisconsin. None of them have any used LD blades.

This isn't going to be any easy task but I'm not in any hurry. I'll have to stumble onto one by happenstance. This usually occurs as soon as I quit trying.

Maybe an add in the local paper. This isn't big Fisher country. I see a lot of Westerns around. What is the Western Equivalent to the Fisher LD and is it as good?

Anyone know?

19. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Western LSX

20. bstout

bstout Member

Thank you festerw!