1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the best pickup truck front end?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by wedgeb, Feb 19, 2011.

1. wedgeb

wedgeb Junior Member
    from 02360

I've had a GMC 2500 Sierra for 10 years and seem to be dumping an awful lot of money into the front end. Are Fords any better?
    I have an 8 foot Minute Mount on it . I've been plowing since the 78 blizzard and have about had enough but keep doing it for some reason.
  2. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

You will still have issues with bearings and ball joints. Plowing is hard on trucks. I'm a big fan of straight axles. The Fords may not ride as good as the Chevys but the axle strength is amazing. Simple design, not too many things to break.
  3. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

A ten year old truck with a plow, you can expect to put a little money into it. Buy top end, lifetime warranty front end parts or I can promise you that you will be replacing them again.
  4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

the 05 thru the 07 have the best looking front ends
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Ford rides like a rock ,but holds a plow well.
  6. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

Did you read the post at all?
  7. Jgramlich

Jgramlich Senior Member

Replaced the ball joints, U joints, shocks, and coil springs on my 91 Bronco at the beginning of the season. All the parts are heavy duty and/or have a lifetime warranty. It was well worth the extra cash... I think this goes for any truck. Do the repairs right the first time.
  8. wedgeb

wedgeb Junior Member
    from 02360

Thanks for that. I replaced the wheel bearings with lifetime ones and am on my third set. That alone saved a bunch of money. My poor truck has earned it's keep. Someone asked how I could plow with my truck and I said that's like asking how could you plow your garden with your tractor? That's what trucks are made for in the first place!
  9. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

I think I put around $2500 in my front end on various things last year on my 2003 that has had a plow since 2005. That includes ball joints, bearings and other stuff.
  10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Fords can support the weight well as stated, but SFA's eat up front end parts, brakes, etc. If maintenance is your concern, stick with a GM.
  11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Dodge has the best front end.
  12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Mine doesn't
  13. cold_and_tired

My business partners Dodge sure doesn't. That thing eats ball joints and front axle u-joints and he doesn't even have a plow.
  14. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

A SFA won't eat up brakes any faster than any other suspension type. That's just ridiculous.
  15. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It is rediculous that THEY DO! My Fords and Dodges eat up brakes way faster than my GM's........even with rear discs on the Fords. I have GM's with 200k on a factory set.
  17. cold_and_tired

As a guy that can do a front end brake job in 10 minutes with a blindfold on, my truck eats brakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I will qualify by saying that if my truck is not loaded to it's max gross weight, it is pulling my gooseneck with a skid or mini-x or some type of heavy equipment on it. My truck does not live an easy life.

I have owned five Ford trucks and none of the others so I can't say if SFA's eat brakes faster but I will say that this truck uses them at twice the rate as any other truck I have had.

My best truck was a 94 F-350 CC, LB, IDI diesel that had been in the family since new. It had almost 300k on it when I got it and it still had the factory brakes. In fact, in all those years, the only repair was a new set of glow plugs. If I knew then what I know now, that truck would still be sitting in my driveway.
  18. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd have to say Ford's do have the best front ends, but they do eat ball joints, u joints, wheel bearings, vacum actuators, etc. like any other truck. There are a million reasons why ALL of the trucks will do this- money for service at the dealerships, the trucks weigh a LOT, they carry a LOT, if these parts don't fail then something more expensive and difficult to replace will.

Fortunetly there the aftermarket, and you can buy expensive replacement parts for the straight axle trucks that will literally be a one and done deal. You can also buy aftermarket brakes that will last much longer than the stock replacements.

I have a very hard time believing the GM trucks having the best front ends with plows since most anyone I know with one have problems without plows. Kind of the trade off for having a car suspension in a truck.
  19. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

130K second set of ball joints and I just replaced the wheel bearings this fall one went so I did both sides. 9ft plow and I live on a dirt road with epic potholes.....
  20. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

What model year? Suspension type has absolutely nothing to do with braking capacity or pad wear. However, the Fords and Dodges are heavier than their GM counterparts. Real trucks usually are. :D