1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the best electrical Protection

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Canplow, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

I realize that they make a plow spific grease that is a red/brown goop. I went to my local auto parts store and they recomended diealect grease is this the same it seems to work. I havent road tested it yet but all the power is working!Thumbs Up
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I just use the semi-clear dialectric grease. Use it liberally on your main plow hook up plugs.
  3. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

We just pack it full of wheel bearing grease and plug it in. Works great.
  4. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

oh I filled this piss out of every connection with the semi clear stuff its a pressurized can
  5. CMartin

CMartin Junior Member

Trying anti-sieze any one else had any luck using it?
  6. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I would stay with dielectric grease. Clean the plug / connections each time and apply liberally.
  7. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I have had good luck with Fluid Film.
  8. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

Me too and it seems to clean the connectors every time too. I was using the same semi clear dielectric grease and tried the fluid film cause I ran out. It works great. last year I sprayed them once and it lasted all winter.
  9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

:eek: NO not for electrical....antiseeze contains metal,,,,,,unless you wanna trace wiring shorts all day,,stick with die electric grease. Thumbs Up
  10. clinicalenginee

clinicalenginee Junior Member

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just cked at the shop,,,we use permatex.
  12. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Same here...Permatex
  13. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

die electric grease is the only product that I would trust and use. It is made specifically for electrical connections. It does not attack or break down rubber or plastic or degrade them in any way. The grease itself does not break down very quickly and separate. When I was in the Army, we used it on all types of radio antenna connections also and it worked well. It is called "die" electric because it has properties that do not conduct electricity. I am sure that Vaseline and other similar type jellys/grease may be the same, but..........
  14. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

We use die electric grease on all of our plow connections. twice a year, once at the beginning and once at the end of the season. Never had a problem. I have recently sprayed my battery terminals with Fluid Film..... Seems to be working well! Kinda scary at first as after i cleaned the terminals and sprayed them, I could hear the fluid film doing its work!
  15. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Just curious, but what kind of noise did it make? And my next question is "Why?" did it make noise?, LOl You would think it would just get sprayed on and that would be it? I have never heard any other substance make any kind of noise at all when you spray it on something unless it (the object) was hot? It must have been some kind of chemical reaction, and lets hope it was a good one?:eek:
  16. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

It sounds something like ''BAAHHHHH'',probably from the sheep spirits who are pissed off after losing their coat just so we can benefit from it's many uses.:D
  17. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

If you have ever used FIluid Film It lets you Know when its eating rust very impressive stuff ! almost like putting a pennie in Coke!
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  18. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

In the past I would have trouble with my trailer connector getting corrosion on it. Now I give it a shot of Fluid Film twice a year and have never had a problem with again. On my tractors the wiring for the lights are not made with weather tight connectors so even with a brand new tractor a few months later the wires were getting corrosion where they join. Now I take apart and spray some FF on every exposed connection and have never had any more issues. The stuff works great.
  19. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Fluid Film
  20. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Fluid film. I use it on everything except toast. Lol