1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the best "Controller" to buy..

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by TurboPlow, Sep 16, 2007.

1. TurboPlow

TurboPlow Junior Member

..I got a nice Boss V RT-2 last winter..older but very nice..has the rocker box controls..the previous guy mounted the darn thing in the dash,,& my knee often hits it..what would be a good replacement for it? I see there are Pad Smart Touch" type units and a Joy stick..any preference..thanks in advance..

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the joy stick .You can hold it in the right hand and shift with the left. That's want I do.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I see you drive a Dodge too, get the joy stick.
    You can then temporarily or permanently mount it to the front left cornet of the center arm rest.

Just straiten the bracket that is used to hang it on the window ledge.
    Pinch this in the lid when you close the arm rest.
    You can use the center seatbelt to hold it in place.

You will not have to worry about the joy stick falling on the floor any more.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

I dont have a V but i find the joystick much easier to use. I feel i have have more control with the joystick. I could never get the hang of the touchpad.

5. Tuxx

Tuxx Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Boss

I wanted the joystick at first,Carlo wanted me to give the Smarttouch 2 controller a chance.I would not switch now.

06sdf 001.jpg

06sdf 002.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

If you are pretty handy with steel or something you could make something to mount inside the center console. Basically screws inside the console so that when you open the lid the controller stays put.

7. TurboPlow

TurboPlow Junior Member

thanks for the photos..very nice set up's you guys have..however I removed the center console for easy access & more room up front..( have the standard cab)..I could make a nice floor mount, & it would work..now just to decide on which controller.I plow only for myself...thanks

8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

control

every body i sell a vee plow to with thw exception of a man that has operated multi position controls on equipment,goes with the smart touch control ,and the new control with the newer mounting options are pretty cool expecially the velcro leg mount option.check boss's web site.

9. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I have tried both and love the joystick, but just my opinion.

Bossman

10. TurboPlow

TurboPlow Junior Member

..score: so far :)

Joystick: 4

Smart Touch Pad: 2

11. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Turbo, both my plows have joysticks, so the score should be 5 to 2. :D

12. Tuxx

Tuxx Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I bought my plow last year,the smarttouch 2 is standard,joystick would of been 200+ dollars,is it really that much better?I did not think I would like the touchpad because I had only plowed with toggles or a western joystick.But I like it now,and it has that cool touch twice to raise the plow by itself.

13. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't get how you guys plow with the joystick and get anything done???

Don't you just hold the touchpad in your right hand, with the same hand on the shifting lever when you're going forward and backward?? This way you can be shifting the truck and reangling the blade at the same time.

ABSOLUTELY go with the touchpad.

14. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

i dont know if the joystick has the same feature as the tuch pad with the double down and it puts it float mode. and someone tally up the score i think its now

joystick 5
    smart pad 4
    prsport

15. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

Both of mine are touch pad.

Touchpad 6
    Joystick 5

The joy stick has a switch that when you push it down it stays down (float)

16. 515CUSTOMS

515CUSTOMS Junior Member

Same hear you can drive with the right hand and run the plow/shift with the left.

touchpad all the way.

17. SkiJohnnyB

SkiJohnnyB Member

Touchpad here, too.

Hold the touchpad in your right hand and shift with the right hand.

Left hand is to steer.

18. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I don't know how you guys can plow with the touchpad! I bought one and hate it. Back to joysticks for me.

19. Harleychvy

Harleychvy Senior Member

I have the hand held control. Keep it in the left hand shift with the right. I dont know how you guys keep the controller to the right, that would screw me all up.

In my old truck I had a fisher with a joystick, I dont think I could go back to that.

20. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

......................x2