1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the best Battery

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by sw and me, Nov 29, 2006.

1. sw and me

sw and me Junior Member

I have 2003 2500 HD Crew and I seem to loose its charge when it sits for a couple of weeks

What is the best battery to buy

2. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

I have heard that Interstate Batteries are one of the top ones out there. My parents have had them in there vehicles when it came time to replace the old one, and not a problem with them. I am looking at getting two Interstate batteries for my truck. Have had the ones from the factory since it's been new.
  3. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

My Dad used to say Diehards where the best, but I think the Delco's are number one. (if you get enough cold cranking amps)
    I have never had to replace one yet, knock on wood!
  4. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think the brand matters, unless it extrememly cheap. Upgrade your cold cranking ampps of the battery. So if you have 850 cold cranking amps get 1000 cold cranking amps. It will last longer under your hood.
  5. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

Optima Yellow Top, is the number one battery you can buy, guarenteed. 3 year warrenty, its desiged to run lots of electronics. Six pack design is good for winter, helps battery stay warmer.
  6. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

Optima are good batterys but there more like a deep cycle. maybe thats why they have such short warrantys.
  7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

There are two different case colors for the yellow top if you are using it as a starting battery you need one with a dark gray case not the light gray. I wouldn't be concerned about the warranty my yellow top is on its second vehicle and 5th year and shows no signs of slowing down.

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i agree there good
  9. crabman

crabman Junior Member

I have a interstate battery 850-1000 cc hooked up to my 63 L volvo tamd still going strong after 6000 running hours@ 6 years
  10. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Was at a garage yesterday getting a tire plugged on my work car, topic of batteries came up and I told him we use Optimas now. He told me a little about what he knows about them. He said Optimas are actually dry cell batteries. He said this means that while they work great for heavy duty applications and perform like a deep cycle, their downfall is that if you kill it, it's dead. You may be able to recharge it and get some more use out of it if you're lucky and it isn't totally dead, but you can't wear it out and bring it back like a conventional battery. Obviously repeatedly killing any battery shortens it's lifespan, but I'm told the Optimas are really susceptible to it. So use an Optima for their great power, just don't leave your lights on.

Personally, I always swore by Diehards, (except for the couple years when they got the faulty relabeled Exide and they all died) Then I worked for an AC Delco shop and they convinced me that Delcos were better. So I had a couple and had trouble with both of them. Last year when I needed batteries I went to Sears and bought two of the biggest Diehards I could get and still close the hood. No problems whatsoever.
  11. Detroitdan

I don't remember the specifics, but I think there are only really like two companies building new batteries, everyone buys them from them and relabels them. Exide is one, forgot the other, maybe Interstate? All the others are recycled, like the el-cheapos you get at the discount parts store or Wal-mart. Stay away from recycled batteries.
  12. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I'd suggest an Optima, and Dan, you should research further on the optimas. Don't let what you heard sway you away from them. I think you were somewhat misinformed at the tire shop.They are considered an Absorbed Glass Mat battery, not a dry cell. They do have liquid electrolyte in them. The spiral wound cell prevents the sloshing of acid and plate contact in the event of harsh vibration and shock and the state that for some reason it allows more pure lead to be used on the spiral wound plates. The lead used is more pure, preventing the degradation of the "plates" which would normally happen upon heavy discharge, from what I understand. I had drained mine several times over an eight year period and it always bounced back (to last those eight years). Some of what he said may be true for dry or gel cells.

I've gone to AGM batt's on one of my bikes, and will with another when it is due. One main reason is that they don't vent acid. This is a concern on bikes, as acid dripping out the overflow onto the chain can be fatal and acid on the aluminum swingarm or wheels will ruin it's appearance. You know how bikes can drain down from sitting unused for long periods? The AGM that came stock in a KTM has been run down on several occassionsdue to not putting a charger on in the winter, and it still holds strong once brought back to full charge (after almost 6 years). On the Ducati I run a Deka. I have also used a Deka for plowing and it was a great battery, though not an absorbed glass mat one. I think I got six years on it sitting next to the Optima (on an isoloator). That's why I went with a Deka AGM on the bike.
  13. sw and me

sw and me Junior Member

I have checked localy and no one carries them (Optima )

Is there a source on the web I can order from

14. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I got my Red top Optima from Summit Racing $130.00 plus shipping. Great Battery.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  15. Detroitdan

Okay, I'll ask: why is this in the Blizzard forum?
  16. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

Maybe because Blizzard plows use more power that other plows due to all the extra hydraulics? That's why I went to Optima and added a 2nd battery.
  17. itchyfishnv

itchyfishnv Member

when i called optima about a their batteries they said optima yellow tops can cycle 300 + times, which means you can kill the battery completely and charge it again, and itll hold a charge each and every time until about the 320th time testing has shown.
  18. 1lowGMC

1lowGMC Member

Optima Red top FTW!
  19. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If you have a Sears Autocenter near you they carry them.
  20. computeruser

computeruser Junior Member

Do consider the source - the guy works at a tire store. If the guy had any brains, any aptitude whatsoever, do you think he'd be working at a tire shop? No, probably not. Yet, that's where he works, which should give you a good sense of about how much his opinion is worth...