1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the average $ per hour for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Makndust, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I there a web site somewhere that gives info on the average rate/hr for snowplowing nationaly?? I have a convenience store chain that is bitching about my measly $75.00 / hr rate. I would like to have something to show them.
  2. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Depends on the truck, plow, and operator. :cool:
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Tell them you'll drop it down to $30-$35 per hour, but you will be shoveling it instead, because that is all that rate will allow.

I'm assuming they want an hourly rate?
  4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

About $125 last year, have two commercials that brought in closer to $150.
  5. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

We're running 2 - 8'2" Boss V plows, and one 9'2" Boss poly V. When I said 75.00/hour in my previous post, I meant 75.00 / hr per pickup. My wife and I have 7 years experience plowing commercially. This will be the 2nd year with this particular account. Everytime we do it, we get more efficient. I just talked to a plower in a neighboring town and he is going to 85.00 per hour. That's probably high around here.
  6. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I only have 1 per hour account... its at $150 per hour (5500 with 10'V)
  7. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

I don't tell what my hourly is I just est. the time it will take me and give them a cost per push. Never let out your hourly figure thats for you to know and them to never find out.
  8. kyle volz

kyle volz Member
    from Midwest

Generally charging by the hour will cheat yourself as you get better and quicker. With your experience, try by the push with a limit on the depth in case of a big storm. You know your market. Set the threshold based on your annual rates.

Flat rate plowing is an excellent way to go. At least cosider it.
  9. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Unless you're subbing for someone, my two pennies worth says charge per push. Quick Examples: (1" trigger)

1"-4" 100.00
    4"-8" 150.00
    8"-12" 200.00
    etc, etc
    Obviously prices change with area, lot size, etc
    And there's ways to charge for that..it can be based on a 24hr. period, or some of my previous customers used to say if there's 2" - push it. So if I ran my route efficiantly enough I could get 2-3 pushes on an 8"-10" snowstorm.

Seasonal contracts are always good stress testers too. I have a current contract that my client would only take seasonal contract bids. They have a 2" trigger. So last year I decided that for what I bid I could plow the lot 10 times and make money. If I did it 15 times, I still made some money, but now profits were cut into. Well, I plowed it exactally 10 times and did well. Now this year I raised my price, but with fuel, etc I'm counting on 10 times again.
    If not and we get lots of 2" snow falls...well that's when I :realmad: for getting into a seasonl contract. Sorry so long but I hope it helps:waving:
  10. ????

Bro I must have been cheating my self the last 7 years. :confused:

I am not in business to plow as fast as I can. I am in business to offer professional snow removal. With excellent results. My hourly rate is above $130.00 an hour.

Hourly rate is the only way to go in my book... To much headache with billing out 1 -3 ", 4 - 6", 7 - 10".......

Charge X amount an hour no matter how much snow. Keep you pace steady and smooth. You will always and I mean ALWAYS make money......:nod:

Good luck this winter boyz.....:cool:
  11. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I agree with ProWorkz. I have good commercial accounts who value dependable work. I also check the drains off their roofs, sometimes I have to salt an iced drain....you get the picture. By the push works too. Make sure you are making $.

There are people in my area offering $35/hr for new 3/4 trucks with myers 8' straight plows. Good luck. My best customers get $120/hr and are happy with the service.
  12. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

We got a call from a company on mon offerering us $50.50 per hr for 2 of my 350s.I just laughed[am i on punked].I told him for my one tons with 9ft blades and a sander we get $95 per hr.
  13. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

All of my contracts are per push with incremental pricing by the depth of the snow. Keep in mind though, you are to plow with the storm so even if it is snowing like an SOB, my lots don't get over 4-5". The only time in my contracts that I charge an hourly rate is if the snow gets over 9". At that point, I charge $100.00/hour.