1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What is the availability like in your areas for a 2006/07 ram 2500 5.9

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cl733, Dec 30, 2013.

1. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Ok so here is my dilemma, ive been looking for a plow truck to replace my old 93. not that there is anything wrong with it, shes a beauty, I used to park it before the winters ever set in for the first 13 years of its life. The box has never seen the salt ever, as I had taken it off, but its got a getrag 5 speed and 177K kilometers on it, im just worried that the day that getrag dies its going to make me want to upgrade it to a nv4500, and if im investing that much into it , then I should be just up grading it to something else
    So that brings me to this predicament, I have been looking for a 2003- 2007 25/3500 , its got to have a 5.9 , and preferably I want a 2006/2007, well actually that's what im holding out for, because it has the G56 6 speed manual over the previous nv5600 6 speed. It has to be a 2 door and a long box, SLT or better, not chipped , or hot rodded up, and preferably lower mileage.

Cant be red, hate red vehicles, this truck in Canada is like finding a dinosaur, is there anything like the description available in your area, at a reasonable price

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Got to www.AutoTrader.com , from there you can get as specific as you want and it'll search anything that's listed with them in the US. You'll be asked for a zip code and I'd suggest using the closest US town/city on the south side of the border.

3. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

been on kijiji, jumping through the provinces , nation wide, autotrader , but only in Canada, never thought of it being in the states. carsforsale.com . found some on there , but the nicest possibilities were 4800km away, but sure ill go check out the trader states side

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Sometimes you have to travel if want specific things.

5. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Funny part is my dad who is still driving at 84 years old , has the exact truck I want , a 2006, 5.9 , 2 door, long box SLT, 6 speed ,with only 26000 km on it, but he wont sell it, he sold his 2009 6.7, with 16000km on and opted to keep the 5.9, I am prepared to go the distance for the right truck, if I can just find one,

6. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

My brother in law was looking for a cherry Mega cab this summer. Ended up flying to Texas and driving it home. Cost some coin but was well worth the 3 day trip because this thing is mint. Underside was near perfect and the turbo exhaust like day one, no flakes of rust.

You will travel but be patient one will show up. You can also do a country wide search on CL on some cheater sites.

7. mrgarciainc

mrgarciainc Junior Member
    from Chicago

Id love to upgrade to a 06/07 5.9L MegaCab as well. Hard to find and very expensive still with good miles. Id recommend Texas or California as well. Should find something very clean out there. Good luck

8. tkoyen

tkoyen Junior Member

I looked high and low for a 2006 2500 Quad Cab with the 5.9L, and actually considered going to TX or Colorado, which is where the 2 biggest US auto auctions are, and why there are so many used ones in those areas. But in the end, I found one near Minneapolis, MN that suited my needs.

Its hard to find a good Quad Cab, even harder to find a nice Mega or standard cab though. The standards must all get beat up as work trucks.

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Nothing to see in Colorado, so just head to Texas.........:laughing:

10. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

cl733....are you looking to sell that 93?

11. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

just as soon as I find something to replace it with , ill put it up for sale, I have actually found a truck in PA, as soon as my pass port updates I plan on making a deal .
    its a great little truck , paint is falling off of it but other than some plowing its never done a days work in its life, don't figure ill have much of a problem selling it

12. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Just my 2 cents, if you are going to go that far. Keep going and get out of the rust belt. I got one from SoCal 2 years ago. Worth the time and money not to start with rust.

13. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

I am hearing you, dodge seems to show the rust faster than everything else out there,and PA seems to be near the centre of winter, i was hoping to be looking south a couple of thousand miles rather than east, but its not coming all that easy, found a couple with lower mileage like 37K, i think i could kind of live with that, its not like it is going to be my only vehicle, but i still want it to be somewhat decent anyways

14. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

Interesting - the nv5600 is sturdier than the getrag and an 03 or early 04 would have the nicer headlights and no 3rd injection event. They're even harder to find though

15. giggity

giggity Senior Member

16. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

I hadnt been to that exact site but i have seen alot of their trucks on autotrader.com, funny thing is two trucks they have that i like , have been for sale all winter, probably because their prices seem to be through the roof,for 5 year old trucks they are asking way too much, kind of changed what im looking for too, i really wanted to get a 5.9 either 06/07 just to get away from the dpf and egr on the 6.7, but for as long as ive looked i can buy a 09 for cheaper that a comparable mileaged 06/07. everyone figures that people will pay thru the nose for the 5.9 so as not do deal with the 6.7 woes. the 5.9 is an awesome motor but in its last years its got some issues of its own too. I dont have any air care in my area so ive made up my mind to get a 6.7 and drop off all the dpf egr and program it with an efi live set up. I have one 6.7 with a g56 right now , still under warranty , so its all stock as yet, never ever given me any grief , so its not too hard to talk me into another

17. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Wow those prices are crazy............ They way they that stuff priced I could just go south and bring them back nice rust free trucks and make 10k a pop. My 05 with only 38K would bring more than I paid for it new. Ha Ha :laughing:

18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It's the market that is cazey.
    today a new diesel can run 50K+

I bought one at the bottom in 08, I
    was offered 4k more for it today than when I bought for in 08, with 75000mi

19. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

I think that is a wise approach. Its not worth paying a premium price to get an older truck when you can just do the deletes on the 6.7. The truck you were hoping for is the most in demand model (6spd, 5.9) if you could find one you'd be paying a crazy price for it. I was looking for one last summer and had the same issue. I could buy an '11 with half the miles on it for the same price as guys were wanting for 06-07's. Crazy. :dizzy:

20. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

Surprising enough there are alot of 6sp manuals around, but they mostly have a 5th wheel in the back welded to the frame or a hitch bolted to the floor, and then what manual is better ,the nv5600 stays behind the 5.9 , 6.7 gets the g56 with a higher torque rating, but is it tougher, a g56 thats been worked hard all its life with ATF4 in it doesnt sound too appealing, then on the other hand the clutches are supposed to be weak in front of the g56, so then what , a 6.7 with the 6 sp auto, wonder how that will stand up to plowing in stock form, they look easy enough to beef up the clutch packs and make them tougher, I really like plowing with the standard, but the auto seems like it would be so much easier, The ultimate would be a 6sp auto with a floor mount shifter with integrated blade controls on the shifter.